//Trail Status mouse over Java // Garmin GPS

Author Topic: Garmin GPS  (Read 7233 times)

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Re: Garmin GPS
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:01 AM »
Something to also check for in GPS devices is the "refresh rate"...

Too true!  Town Run pretty much dictates a 1 second data interval.  Especially if you use the "Courses" feature, where you can ride against a stored lap.  I  love that feature.  Even Brown County is fast and flowy enough to warrant fast data capture.  Memory capacity is no issue.  Even long rides at a 1 second data rate are a non-issue.  The GPS effects the battery more than anything.

I just pulled the trigger today on a refurb Edge 305.  I was just thinking how odd it is that Garmin has had 4 new Edge models come out since the 305 (605, 705, 500 and 800), and yet I find the 305 to be the best option.  To me it speaks poorly of Garmin's product development. Granted, if I had a power hub, it would take the 305 off the table.  But if I was going to use a power hub, I wouldn't try to sync it to a Garmin anyway.  I'm a Garmin fan, but they haven't wowed me in quite a while.

fst aslp

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »
Which units have the fast refresh rate?

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
Which units have the fast refresh rate?

I didn't like what I was reading about the Edge 500 on the Garmin message forums.  It lead me to believe the choices were limited.  

Here is what an Edge 500 owner posted on the Garmin forums, "When using the 500 without a powermeter, the device uses the 'smart' recording rate (with no current option to select 1-second recording rate otherwise) and therefore a degree of precision is lost. While road riding, this margin of error is typically small (some might say insignificant), but when riding mtb trails the 'smart' recorded data can be very imprecise, especially when the trails are twisty or include a lot of cornering. Not only does the accuracy of the recorded distance suffer (and speed data along with it), but the mapping function becomes significantly less accurate too. I understand that it is possible to add a speed sensor to the bike to remedy the distance/speed issues, but this should not need be the case."

I also the following in the user manual, "DATA RECORDING: The Edge uses smart recording. It records key points where you change direction, speed, or heart rate.  When a third-part power meter is paired, the Edge records points every second. Recording points every second uses more of the available memory on the Edge, but creates a very accurate record of your ride".

My fear in buying the 500 was that settings, like data recording rate, have taken a step backwards as far as user adjustment.

On a road bike training ride last year I got to play with a 500.  I asked a fellow rider if he had a average MPH reading for the ride we had just completed. He handed me his 500 and told me to play with it since he hadn't spent much time with it.  The thing was practically locked-up.  I had to wait quite a while for it to change screens or scroll through any data.  It may have just needed a hard reset performed on it, but it was essentially brand new and was so slow I gave up trying to find any info on it and handed it back to the guy.  No such issue with my 305, even when I first put my hands on it.

I went with the 305 again because I know it will do what I want.  There are some new features on the 500 and 800, but none that make me want to roll the dice and try one. Especially not for what an 800 goes for.  (~$440)

My 305 wasn't perfect. I'll admit that.  At Town Run the elapsed time for a lap seemed low every now and then. When my "new" 305 comes I am going to try two things to correct that. (1) Install a speed sensor for wheel-based speed info. (2) Turn off the auto-pause feature.  I'll probably also spend more time on the 305 forum and get other ideas.

I did get some corrupt data files at times, but nothing that ever caused me to lose data.

---EDIT---  Just found that the Edge 800 also uses "Smart Recording" for data rate unless a power meter is used with it.    ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:48:08 PM by Dave Tozer »

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links