//Trail Status mouse over Java // The 29er Thread

Author Topic: The 29er Thread  (Read 31103 times)

MTBmike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: The 29er Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »
Hard to find LBS's that carry 29ers to test ride, at least down south.  Any suggestions?
My other car is a 29er

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »
Hard to find LBS's that carry 29ers to test ride, at least down south.  Any suggestions?

How far south? Bicycle Station has demo HiFi 29ers in 3 sizes and an assortment of hardtail Fishers. They had the HiFis at the Mascatatuck DINO race on Sunday.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

fullenchilada

• Indy's West Side Bike Shop
    • View Profile
    • Bicycle Outfitters Indy
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
we have some

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »
Normally Iím a lurker around here but since I just finished building my first 29er I felt compelled to add to the discussion. Finished the build on Saturday (with many parts coming from the buy/sell forum here) and took the bike for a shakedown at Town Run this afternoon. From the outset I could tell my speed was much improved and more than once I carried a bit too much into turns which I was used to doing slower on my 26 inch bike. Additionally, roots and rocks seemed to disappear, although the log piles were still noticeable.

I had been a little worried that the steering would not be as sharp as my 26 inch bike, but I couldnít tell any difference. The final verdict will be after I take on some hills, but  thus far the 29er seems to be working out quite well.

Alright, excited rambling over. -Ed

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
Been riding them for a while. Full convert. Never looking back.

I echo others' comments. Different 29ers feel different from each other, but all that I have ridden feel much different than 26. I actually think the momentum you carry into and the ability to traverse the depressions in the the rough stuff makes it all easier. If you are in the same gear as a 26" wheeled bike and you are stalled or trying to trials it through, that might be one place I would give 26" wheel the edge. Some people warm right up to then right away while others have to alter their riding style as you've read.

I recently tried thru-bolt hubs (15mm front and 10mm rear) and they are the bomb-diggity in making the slight wheel flex I have perceived in the past pretty much go away. Of all the things to really pimp out on your 29er, I would suggest wheels are it. Tire options are getting pretty open.

fullenchilada

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »
chuck,

what hubs/ wheels are you using ?

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
chuck,

what hubs/ wheels are you using ?

On the SS, I am running:

I-9's with Stan's Arches (32h)
Maxxis Aspen rear (tubeless)
Schwalbe Racing Ralph front (tubeless)

Front is 9mm DT Swiss thru-bolt
Rear is 10mm Hadley (actually Balle Racing)

Geared:

Chris King Iso-Disc Hubs 32 hole
Front converted to QR-15. Rear converted to 10mm thru-axle and currently has a Fire-eye 10mm "thru-skewer." Thinking of changing that out to a 10mm DT Swiss thru-bolt.
DT-Swiss Supercomp spokes and Alu nips
Stan's Flow Rims.

If I had to do it all again, I would have got the I-9s with Flow rims. Both brands of wheelsets were extremely easy to convert.

Loretta

• Lug of The Irish
  • Should be riding....
  • Tim O'Donnell
    • View Profile
    • Shamrock Cycles
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »
One of my racers, John Clasen, is on one of my 29ers and I am certain he would agree that thru-axle front hubs are worth every penny.  He is using King hubs with the 20mm thru-axle laced to Edge Composites carbon fiber rims.  He loves them.  Not cheap but rock fricking solid.

Now if I could just get him to stop slicing sidewalls . . .
Shamrock Cycles- Hand built frames from the mountains of Indiana

www.lugoftheirish.com

JClasen

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
One of my racers, John Clasen, is on one of my 29ers and I am certain he would agree that thru-axle front hubs are worth every penny.  He is using King hubs with the 20mm thru-axle laced to Edge Composites carbon fiber rims.  He loves them.  Not cheap but rock fricking solid.

Point and shoot!

I'm 6'2" 190#

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
Yeah, these 29ers suck for racing!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/news/15115/

:D

fullenchilada

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »
I brought 2 bikes w/ me out to CO, Im currently in Crested butte, I brought a Yeti 575 w/ a Fox Talas 36 and top level components, the other bike is my Jamis D29 Team carbon w/ XX 2 x 10.

when Im in IN I use 2.0 tires on my 29er for XC riding
For tires out here on the 29er, I put a 2.35 w/ some big knobs on the front and a 2.25 on the back. I have ridden both bikes multiple days. The 29 inch hard tail wins my prferrence over the 6 inch travel bike w/ 26 inch wheels. The 29 inch hard tail climbs better, rolls better, is more than smooth on the downs. Ive ridden it 3 out of 5 days and Im riding it the rest of my trip. The only 2 days I didnt ride it, I let my buddy ride it and now he wants to buy it. (serious) by the way he lives in CO and currently has a full suspension bike w/ 26 inch wheels, in 2 rides hes 29 inch convert.

I am a 29 inch convert all the way. for my xc bike , single speed and Id like to build a 29 inch short travel bike

70-80 % of Dino entrants are on 29 inch wheels is what I heard, can anyone confirm that ?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=412525&l=027396a936&id=1829652623

Loretta

• Lug of The Irish
  • Should be riding....
  • Tim O'Donnell
    • View Profile
    • Shamrock Cycles
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »
70-80 % of Dino entrants are on 29 inch wheels is what I heard, can anyone confirm that ?

I don't think that is correct.  I don't think it is anywhere near that number.  I would guess it to be no more than 20 to 25 percent.
Shamrock Cycles- Hand built frames from the mountains of Indiana

www.lugoftheirish.com

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »

I don't think that is correct.  I don't think it is anywhere near that number.  I would guess it to be no more than 20 to 25 percent.

I would agree that 20-25% is pretty close.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

29erpilot

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
I think the % gets higher in the bigger Races,The WORS series is probably 40%+.I did hear that the Lumberjack 100 was stacked with 29er's.The big teams now have a 29er in their stable for racing.The All Mountain World Championship was just won on a 29er. 

MTBmike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »
So I'm convinced that a 29er will be my next bike purchase... My other question was that since they dont really sell 29ers in big box stores, is it safe to say that there is not a bad one out there for sale. (dont tell me walmart is making full suspension Mongoose 29ers that are 80lbs)

With all the talk lately of Timber Rattle Snakes in Brown County, will the bigger wheel help me to avoid a strike from this viper? or will the bigger wheels slow me down just enough to set me up for a perfect strike.  ;D

My other car is a 29er

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links