//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 111003 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
FYI,  HMBA does not maintain Nebo.  And we did not build the bench or bike rack.  Its not that we don't care about Nebo or want to work on Nebo, but it is much more difficult to volunteer on National Forest trails as opposed to State Park trails.  Chainsaw work on HNF trails is done by their crews.  They don't go in for trees as the fall, but instead clear each trail periodically. 

This means that trees can stay down for longer.  This is part of the character of riding in HNF.  Its more of an adventure some times than riding in the State Park.

We are working on building relationships with HNF and just meet with HNF staff this Monday. 

One issue is that HMBA would want to reroute sections of the trial (the sections that are always muddy), rather than to try and maintain those chronically muddy sections.  rerouting a trail in HNF requires NEPA reviews that are expensive and take a long time to complete. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
Rode Nebo yesterday. Ridgeline was in amazing condition considering the rain the day before. Bone dry up there. The climb up, that's always muddy, was especially squishy. Especially with the leaf litter holding moisture from the seeps.

Someone has been out there. I saw evidence that some wet areas had some drains kicked in. Saw one downed tree that had been chopped with an axe somewhat recently.

grayhound

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »
     Encountered my first Rattle snake yesterday in my 5-6 years of riding Nebo! He was stretched out across  the fast section of trail 1/4-1/2 mile from the south TH.  Big fat boy looked like he'd just eaten a family of squirrels!  They're out there, be aware!  Rest of trail very good except a couple of trees down and starting to get a bit overgrown. 18,19,20 deep mud in spots but always fun

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
Those trees have been down for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

grayhound

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:25 PM »
     The large one on a rather steep,rocky descent as well as one or two smaller, almost hoppable as well, have been there awhile. But there were one or two others that were new since last weekend.  A large branchy one fell along the trail. Couldn't tell you exactly where it is, just reporting in on the constantly changing and always fun and challenging greatest trail in Indiana!

grayhound

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2015, 07:09:31 AM »
Nebo is now clear! The forest service cleared all of the downed trees and even the log-overs,
 at least from the Combs intersect to the south TH. Didn't ride from the north lot up, as we parked at the south lot to avoid the muddy initial climb. There were a couple of the usual muddy spots and a bit of overgrowth but otherwise trail was awesome! 18,19,20 loop was fun although 18 was pretty sloppy in some areas.  Enjoyed riding dirt for a change!

rmc

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »
Rode Nebo Saturday, hit 70 degrees.  Nebo was actually pretty dry, lot of the forest gravel roads were sloppy but not terrible.  Lot's of fallen branches and limbs from the winter storms, good log-over practice.  Comb's road was a complete mess per usual on the bottom portion.

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »
Rode today also just rode from the south nebo trail head about 3 miles in and it was prefect.  20 was in nice shape too
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

donjoses

• Training wheels on
  • nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
Rode all of Nebo yesterday and it's in good shape.  The wet and muddy spots have finally dried out.   

donjoses

• Training wheels on
  • nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
Nebo was in great shape today. 2 trees that could use cutting. First one was about 0.5 mile before the combs road trail interesection coming from the north lot. It could probably be cleared with a good handsaw. Multiple branches there. 2nd tree was just north of the first "intersection" with Berry Ridge road coming from the north lot. It needs a chainsaw.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
I didn't think the trail from combs road to Browning Hill was open to bicycle traffic. Anyone care to educate me?

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
There is no legal trail to the top of Browning Mountain. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
First rule about riding around Browning Mountain: Don't talk about riding around Browning Mountain

ted_kissel26

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
Does anyone know if this trail any trail d are ridable?  Herd there’s lost of trees down.

cal_len1

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2018, 09:01:20 PM »
I last rode trail D 4 weeks ago, and it was fine. Nebo was completely unrideable though, and it has not gotten any better. There has been one bad storm since then though, so it may have changed.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links