//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 103390 times)

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
Rode Hickory on Monday,  horse bogs were a plenty.  Parked at the Norman TH and rode about 2 hours.  On way back to parking area, got stopped for a trail pass by a ranger.  Have been ridding in Hoosier National for almost ten years and this is the first time I have seen a ranger out.  And he was back off the beaten path.   Good thing I happened to buy a TP and not poach.

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
Did the racer 40 route today.  A couple of down trees on the Nebo climb from the parking lot.  Midwest trail ride was a couple weeks ago so the trails were beat down and the house bogs were not that bad.  Remember there are other places to ride besides BCSP.  Old School trails.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
Old School...back when spandex clad roadies didn't run you off the trails and it was okay to have a bike that did'n't cost $3,000 =  ;D .

Love Nebo. Hoping to head down next week for a day. Does HMBA take the saws out there these days or do they focus only on the heavier use trails?
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
NEBO is in the Hoosier National Forest .  National Forests are difficult to get approval for volunteers to chainsaw.  HMBA does not have the ability to chainsaw on National Forest property. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
Old School...back when spandex clad roadies didn't run you off the trails and it was okay to have a bike that did'n't cost $3,000 =  ;D .

Luckily you don't find too many of those type of riders at nebo, hickory, VBR, Gnawbone....heck, you don't find any traffic at these trails ;)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Speaking of which, is camp season over at Gnawbone yet?  I'm ready to tag along with another group ride this year.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
I think this is the last week of camp. GnawBone Lefty and I were talking about it Wed Night.  I would think they would be good to ride again next weekend.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Mattntp

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Rode Nebo and a few hickory ridge trails Saturday. Conditions were great, not too many logs down. The only problem was all the spider webs across the trail. Lead rider gets wrapped up like a mummy. I don't know why those trails never get used. Stopped by BCSP on the way home to hit green valley, which was a blast as usual, but pretty busy.

fwrzalin

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
Nebo was in great shape yesterday, nice to avoid the Saturday crowd at BCSP.

MikeHufhand

« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:40 AM »
Rode Nebo today(Sunday) and even after the rain it was good.  Biggest puddle was in the gravel parking lot.(north TH)

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
Rode Nebo and Combs Rd. yesterday.  Both were in great shape. 

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Did Nebo, as well as 21, 3, 10, 4, 18, and 20 on Hickory, as well as Combs yesterday.

The first mile and a half of Nebo is wet, as always. Up on the ridgeline, and especially the singletrack is in great shape. Hickory is more spotty. Some areas are in really good shape (3 was probably the best of the bunch), but others are pretty messy (21 and 10 were pretty sloppy). The rest is hit-or-miss between good spots and horse bogs. Combs wasn't awful, but it was still pretty wet.

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
Rode Combs road Saturday early. It was nice and frozen then but probably a slop fest by afternoon.
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Rode Combs road Saturday early. It was nice and frozen then but probably a slop fest by afternoon.

I came through Combs about 10:30 and it was starting to thaw.  After noon, the entire HNF area was a combo of slushy ice and soupy gravel. I had a blast.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

meech

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »
Since Brown County was "red", rode Nebo yesterday starting at the north trailhead west of Story (heading south).  Muddy climbing up to the ridge as expected but I've seen it in worse condition.  It dried out nicely once past the north double track sections and the rest of the ride was excellent and dry.  I always forget how flowy the southern section can be although the occasional downed tree had to be removed although one will require a chainsaw or a ramp to be built.  Had an excellent lunch at the picnic bench just above the south Nebo trailhead (thanks HMBA for the great bike rack and bench) and looped back north on Combs road where the south gravel road is dry enough that you don't get that weird "earthquake" visual effect riding over saturated clay/gravel.  The frogs were incredibly loud and totally invisible.  Once past the Combs gate going into dirt road, there were the usual mud-pits but again, I've seen it worse and I think we saw more mud on our backs from the initial climb up Nebo ridge then this section.  Saturday's Death March doesn't seem to have torn any of the route up very much but I think most avoided these trails since Elkinsville cemetery was thankfully not picked.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links