//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 103385 times)

trbsami

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
Gun season runs Nov 16th- Dec1st.  Only archery has been in since Oct1st.  GENERALLY archery guys are more responsible and respectful.  They will try to be more stealthy and conscious of their surroundings.
Niner Air 9/ 1x10/ Midge drop bar/ 700Cx40
2015 Trek Stache 9.  29x3.0!

Patrick Weller

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »
Anyone been to Nebo or Hickory since  the snow thawed?

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
Curious as to the conditions of NEBO.  I know the Death March was last weekend,,  kinda wondering if anyone might have ridden it in the past few weeks..  ?  Thanks
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
Scott Irons rode it this weekend. He posted on Facebook that he would avoid the Story end of the trail (which is normally the sloppiest part), but once up on the ridge, it was good. Park at Berry Ridge or the end lot closest to Maumee.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
Thanks,,, I'm gonna try and hit it tomorrow. I'll take the advice and get on @ the other TH. (I call it the Houston Rd side)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »
Well, I was hoping to have a report on Nebo's trail conditions. Was going to ride yesterday..... But a stupid head cold kept me grounded on the couch after my trip to the Dr.. I was going to throw caution into the wind and go anyway. But,,,, decided against it by the time I got home. :(

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
Rode Nebo today. Got there about 1:00pm. Against my better judgment. I went to the Story TH. But,,, due to a head cold going on.... I could only FORCE myself to do 2.5 miles.
Still pretty muddy in spots as we all have already concluded. So,,,, if you are planning on riding Nebo. Better go to the Maumee side.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
Rode Nebo today.  Started at the North TH and went all the way to the South TH and back.

Some sloppy spots on the old fire road section within the first mile of the Northern TH.  After that, maybe a couple on the whole trail.  The rest is in great shape.

Handful of downed trees to watch out for, some in spots where you want to go fast but you have to get off the bike to climb over the log.  Some are rideable, some not.  Lots of derailleur killers out there, so pick your lines carefully.  No parts were eaten by trail debris on my bike today, but not for lack of trying.  Lots of stuff was bouncing off my spokes.

Saw a handful of mushroom hunters and some IU students working on some class project.

FYI, 135 has a detour posted south of 46.  The posted detour appears to take you through Nashville and around the West Side of BCSP, possibly sending you down 446 and around.  I was NOT interested in that detour.  I stopped at Hesitation Point and talked to Tad.  He suggested trying to go by VBR.  I took Mt Liberty Rd. in Gnaw Bone to Valley Branch Rd. and got back on 135 at Van Buren Elementary.  I avoided whatever work was occurring on 135.  That detour is MUCH quicker to get to Story.

Mattntp

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2014, 03:15:11 PM »
Rode Nebo north to south yesterday. Lots of trees to climb over. Otherwise pretty good except for some muddy spots. Rode trail 19, lots of trees down. Trail 18, lots of large mud holes from horse traffic. I fell over into one of them. It was pretty gross. Rode trail 4, wasn't awful like trail 18. Rode some of trail 12, which also had lots of trees down. Camped along trail 12 and rode trsil 21 back this morning which ,surprise, had a lot of trees down. Took combs all the way back to the north Nebo ridge trsilhead. Combs was a blast as always.

Mattntp

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
Oh yeah, ticks. picked off 7 while in the forest and found 2 at home. On a similar overnight last year I had almost 30 ticks

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
Rode Nebo North to South (out and back) on Friday May 9th.  I lost count of the trees I had to climb over going to the South TH. Only a few were ride-able.  One of the downed trees was basically the tree TOP and you are forced to trudge thru the brush to get back on the trail. This is closer to the South TH.
NOW,,,, multiply that by 2 for the trip back to the North TH.   :o   
A few wet spots mainly on the fire lane section during the first mile or so.
I'm curious as to WHO is responsible for clearing the trails of these fallen trees ?  I'm assuming the forestry staff  ????    If so, is it our job to notify them or do they just do a random check ?
As far as ticks, I found 2 slightly attached behind my left knee when I got home.
It was a beautiful day for sure !!!! 

fwrzalin

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
What are the current conditions on Nebo, still climbing trees?

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »
What are the current conditions on Nebo, still climbing trees?
I wish I could answer your question. I've not been back since my last post.
If you do go,, PLEASE post an update as I'm wanting to go back. But,, would like to wait until the trees have been cleared first. 

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
I'm curious as to WHO is responsible for clearing the trails of these fallen trees ?  I'm assuming the forestry staff  ??? ?    If so, is it our job to notify them or do they just do a random check ?

HMBA is not currently allowed to chainsaw on HNF property.  Forest Service Staff do the saw work.  Yes, it would be helpful to let them know about downed trees.

Lots of info on Hoosier National here. 

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hoosier/recreation/bicycling/?recid=41466&actid=24

Lots of trails are open to mountain biking, some are less fun than others, but for those looking for a back country adventure, there are some good options out there.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
Paul,  Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.  I'll try and call HNF headquarters next Tue when I'm off again.
And thanks for the link as well.  Will come in handy should I decide to tackle some other trails @ HNF.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links