//Trail Status mouse over Java // Upcoming Trail Work

Author Topic: Upcoming Trail Work  (Read 9336 times)

cas

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Upcoming Trail Work
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:25:28 PM »
Nebo Ridge is the granddaddy trail for most of us. And our position as users of Hoosier National Forest trails, along with horses and hikers, should not be taken for granted. Remember, this is well over 100 miles of trails we have access to.  We met with HNF personnel in February, and they are very amenable to a fairly major reroute project on Nebo. The horse folks and hikers have tentatively agreed to work with us; they see same issues. The process would involve planning route, and about a 12 month review process. This 12 month process is the "light" version.  Good news is that we really don't have the bodies to do work now with all that's happening at BCSP. But we need some planners and politicoes to move this forward. Alex could probably help. Also, we will get funds from the HNF to help. Anyone willing to help in this?  P.S. 2005 was a great year for the trail. It actually dried out early in the year and stayed in very good shape all year. I rode there about once a week -- very few horses, some friendly hunters in the fall, a number of enthusiatics bikers -- every ride I took there in 2005 was great. It is a different trail than BCSP or Valley Branch -- much faster and less twisty and technical -- most days I prefer railing on Nebo to any other trail in the State.
Cas

gnawbonelefty

Nebo trail work
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:31:36 PM »
No responses Tim?  

A Few years ago I had scouted out a reroute of the double track, it would probably add under a mile or so of trail at the begining and avoid almost all of the slop that plagues the begining of Nebo and hit up some nice scenery.  you could also just run down either side of the ridge along the same route.  I really don't knwo what the feds have an appetite for.

I'd be glad to hike it with you some time, though I have my hands full cutting the downed trees at Gnaw Bone and building trails at the park.

Quote from: "cas"
Nebo Ridge is the granddaddy trail for most of us. And our position as users of Hoosier National Forest trails, along with horses and hikers, should not be taken for granted. Remember, this is well over 100 miles of trails we have access to.  We met with HNF personnel in February, and they are very amenable to a fairly major reroute project on Nebo. The horse folks and hikers have tentatively agreed to work with us; they see same issues. The process would involve planning route, and about a 12 month review process. This 12 month process is the "light" version.  Good news is that we really don't have the bodies to do work now with all that's happening at BCSP. But we need some planners and politicoes to move this forward. Alex could probably help. Also, we will get funds from the HNF to help. Anyone willing to help in this?  P.S. 2005 was a great year for the trail. It actually dried out early in the year and stayed in very good shape all year. I rode there about once a week -- very few horses, some friendly hunters in the fall, a number of enthusiatics bikers -- every ride I took there in 2005 was great. It is a different trail than BCSP or Valley Branch -- much faster and less twisty and technical -- most days I prefer railing on Nebo to any other trail in the State.
Cas

mombioushibachi

Upcoming Trail Work
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 12:32:10 PM »
I'm willing to help also.

DAA

Upcoming Trail Work
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »
I am willing to put some time in on the trail.

It would be great to get rid of the slop on the double track at the beginning.

cmac

Upcoming Trail Work
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »
I Love Nebo.  Feel free to email me and I'll donate labor.

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
Trail Conditions
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

cas

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Upcoming Trail Work
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 08:11:34 PM »
Thanks to all willing to help on Nebo. I will contact Les W. and HNF personnel and try to get a couple of trail planners (Lefty and Lenlog), along with horse and hiker representatives, to work on a proposal for Les and HNF. It will be sometime before we would be ready with permits to reroute trail -- maybe as far out as next year.  But we might as well get the process cooking!  At same time, we will want to moniter and influence the destiny of Combs Road, which is up in the air.
Cas

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links