//Trail Status mouse over Java // Avon Trail Work

Author Topic: Avon Trail Work  (Read 104872 times)

Darin

• I've been fueled by ethanol for years...
    • View Profile
Re: Avon Trail Work
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »

;D  New sign at the park includes a cyclist!!
...FAST is a relative term.

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »

;D  New sign at the park includes a cyclist!!

It looks like a road bike, but at least it is a bike!

As far as trail work goes, I do plan on staying with the everyother weekend thing for now. So as Bob pointed out, Saturday June 7 will be the next work day.
I road the trails last night and the park hasn't done any weed wacking yet. But it does look like they used thier Quad and pulled the large tree branch off the trail that was on the little loop east of the Iron bridge. If the park doesn't do any weed wacking this week we will probable have to do some that next Saturday before we work on the new trail because the weeds are getting pretty bad in a couple areas. :(
Brian Bowerbank

Darin

• I've been fueled by ethanol for years...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:12 AM »
It looked like Brian's Freride area had been trimmed last time I rode there.  I can trim after work during the week if they give us the GO.  That would leave work days to trail building.
...FAST is a relative term.

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
It looked like Brian's Freride area had been trimmed last time I rode there.  I can trim after work during the week if they give us the GO.  That would leave work days to trail building.

Todd trimmed the freeride trail early before last Sat.
Thanks for changing your plans to help out Bob!

I would like to trim weeds when I get back.  Could you talk to the park to get clearance for us to begin trimming?  Let me know when we can start!!

Thanks
Darin

I talked to Eric (park manager) and he said that he wants a park worker to be at the park when we are doing the trimming. ??? I explained to him that alot of us volenteers are buzy with family dutys on the weekends but would be willing to trim with thier own trimmer when they could during the week. So he is having me send him a map of the areas that need trimmed and he will try and get his workers to do the trimming. After I got off the phone with him, I remembered that we tried this last year and park didn't get it done,and we eventually had to do it anyway.
We will see what happens?
[/quote]
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2008, 08:04:43 AM »
Just wanted to put this under the right subject heading and get the word out there again.

Trail work this Saturday June 7 - 7:30 am to noon - meet down by the park maint. barn. If you can not be there at 7:30 you will be able to find us south of the train bridge along the creek. I am sure the creek flooded down by the train bridge but hopefully the creek will be down by Saturday. We plan on working on NEW trail unless the flooding has caused damage that we need to work on. I haven't been able to make it over to the park since the heavy rains.
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2008, 10:55:40 PM »
Todd and I did brave the rain today and did get some good trail work done. We where able to roll a couple of the big logs off the trail that the fload water put in place. We cleared and cut in the 30 foot section of trail to open the new trail to the exsisting trail that loops south of the train bridge. Right now the NEW trail is out and back on the same trail, but in the future we will make a seperate return trail. Then we weed wacked the rest of the freeride trail and the trail loop on the east side of the Iron bride. When we left at noon, the creek was rising and it was already over the banks under the train bridge. Hopfully it didn't rise  much more and go over the main creek bank and flood the trails all over again. As it was there were areas that had a good 6 inches of water standing on the trail. We need a good 3 days of dry weather before the trails will be dry enough for riding again. :(
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »
Weed wacked the NEW 1 mile trail for 3 hours last night. There were weeds in the open area 6 feet tall. Now it is easyer to tell where the trail runs.
Brian Bowerbank

gottabeoutdoors

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:24 AM »
Hello!

Is there a map or a GPS/satellite overlay of the trails somewhere?   I'm interested in coming down to check out all of your fine work, but I may miss some of the best parts if I'm not sure where I'm going/where to find the new sections...

(or is it all easy to locate/navigate?)   :)

Thanks!
Mick

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2008, 03:21:48 PM »
Hello!

Is there a map or a GPS/satellite overlay of the trails somewhere?   I'm interested in coming down to check out all of your fine work, but I may miss some of the best parts if I'm not sure where I'm going/where to find the new sections...

(or is it all easy to locate/navigate?)   :)

Thanks!
Mick

The park has maps in a couple of black mail boxes. One is located at the front of the parking lot trail head and the other is in the middle of the parking area. The New 1 mile trail section will not be on these maps because it is so new and there will be more trail added to this area in the future. The small trail loop south of the train bridge is not on the park map either. Just go under the old train bridge and you will find it easy. The new trail is south of that loop. It is a single-track out and back on the same trail as of now. There is a double-track trail also south of this loop with a no trespassing sign so don't go on it. Just keep going on the trail and you will see a freshly cut in trail, that is the new trail. Hope this helps and enjoy the ride!
Brian Bowerbank

off_road

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
LOVE the new trail. it adds just enough distance so I can now ride a nice loop throughout the whole park and get a good workout rather than doing the same little things over and over. Just to make sure, its 2 way until you get around the lake right??

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2008, 08:59:39 AM »
Thanks for your feedback on the new trail. I really like the added distance myself too. And yes, it is a two-way trail until you get back to the pond. In the future we plan on making a seperate return trail.
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »
Trail work this Saturday 7:00-10:00am. Meet at maintenance barn. We are going to do some weed cutting, mud hole fixin, and misc. trial maintenance.
See ya Saturday!
Brian Bowerbank

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2008, 09:07:41 AM »
Brian,
  I am in!
Bob

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
I wasn't able to make it Saturday after all. But I do want to thank Todd and Bob for there time and hard work that they put in Saturday! They weed wacked, removed alot of the deep sand off of the new trail from the floods, fixed several mud holes and filled in dirt around the uphill tree root to make it more pleasant to go over now. I road with Todd sunday morning, so I can say first hand that all the improvements that they did made the trail more enjoyable to ride! Thanks again guy's!
Brian Bowerbank

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »
Brian,
  I had to leave at 9:15, Austen's lessons started at 10 not 10:30 so just mark me down for 2 hours.  Hopefully the beginning of the new trail rode much faster with the sand gone!
Bob

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links