//Trail Status mouse over Java // Avon Trail Work

Author Topic: Avon Trail Work  (Read 104912 times)

Darin

• I've been fueled by ethanol for years...
    • View Profile
Re: Avon Trail Work
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
I'll try to make it..........and I'll try to bring help with me!
...FAST is a relative term.

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »
Got alot done Saturday thank to some great help from Spencer and Todd. We armored and rechanneld the drainage in a wet area on gambles run.Then we made two log bridges thanks to Spencers skill with the chain saw. The log bridges are down by the train bridge. They enable us to make one trail "In" and anothe trail "out" to access the trails south of the train bridge. Those trails still need some work but they are usable.

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »
Eric (Avons new land manager) aproved a reroute trail around the large Mud Bog on sparrows trail (wide trail leading up to maintenance barns). this is a temp. trail as of now, but I hope it wil prove to be permenant. Because the exsisting trail runs through a low area that is wet every year. There was still going to be a wet area with the new reroute. So I built a 12 foot bridge in my garage Sat. while it was snowing .then a few of us put it in place sunday. The trail is soft becase it is new ,but hopefully it will get packed in good by Saturday for the DINO race. Like I said ,it is planed to be temperary ,so if you like it let Eric know so hopefully the trail can stay as a option.

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 08:59:32 AM »
I made a mistake. The reroute trail around the mud bog is actually off of Kingsway trail before it splits off to sparrow trail. Anyway, I have some good news! After seeing the new reroute trail in, Eric (Park Manager) has decided to keep it open permanently as an alternate to the existing trail.  :)  Even though it is a short trail, I think this is great news because every bit of singletrack trail makes it more fun to ride. And plus it is a good dry trail. Remember keep water off trail and keep users on trail is the keys to a succesful trail!

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »
No trail work this weekend. I will be out of town. We do plan on doing more trail improvements this spring yet. So if tou haven't had yuor chance to help,don't worry, you will!  I wil post it here when we get another work day planned.

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 08:08:18 AM »
Sorry about the last minute notice, but I thought that I was going to have to work this weekend. Anyway I plan on puting in a few hours of trial work tomorrow (Saturday). We will start at 8:00 and work until 11:00. If you are there by 8:00 meet at utility shed by the play ground otherwise find us out on the trail.We appreciate any time you can give to help.

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 11:01:27 AM »
Small change of plans. Meet down by park mainteance barn saturday.

Thanks,     Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 10:37:41 PM »
We got some good work done Saturday. We cut up and removed  the large rotted tree that fell on the trail to regain about 40 foot of the trail back. Built a crib wall to shore up the side of the trail on Huff's Ridge. Hauled rock from the train bridge to Huff's Ridge with a wheel barrel. Then fixed another one of those areas that water just drains out from the side of the hill on to the trail. And we also armored the impact area as you are comming off the bridge on the new reroute trail. Big thanks to Spencer, Jimmy, Jason, and Bob for your help! I think it was good for Eric (new park manager) to see the support of five MTN Bikers working on the trails on a beautiful Saturday morning also. ;D

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

Darin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 11:32:26 AM »
Brian spent last evening weed-eating the trails with heavy vegitative growth.  I will continue tonight as time allows.  I plan to work on the area east of the iron bridge. 

Darin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »
Trail east of the iron bridge is trimmed back.  Trails are very dry and fast!!

treebeard

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »
Awesome, thanks Darin. You guys have really improved the trail out there especially where some areas were getting eroded.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago
..Wheaties, its the breakfast of champions!

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:22 PM »
I did some more weed-eatig and branch trimming tonight.The trail loop south of the train bridge is itch-free now. ;D That makes all of Avon itch-free now. So we shouldn't need to do any more weed-eatting this year.

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

shaftus

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »
Hey Brian,
Many thanks to you and all the other who are workig on making Avon a better trail.  I live here in Avon and having the trail so close is wonderful.  Please feel free to include me on any upcoming trail work days!  Are there any plans for further expansion beyond the trellis?

Thanks again for all the hard work!

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 03:10:06 PM »
Thanks for showing your appreciation for the work thats been done . I live in Pittsboro so Avon is the closest trails for me . Putting in a few laps there is a great workout and alot of fun at the same time.
    Please send me a personal message with your ph# and e-mail so I can contact you for trail work. We probable won't do any more until this fall though.
YES we do Want to add trails to the new property south of the train bridge. The park management is not leting us build any new trails YET. They are still in the planing stages for all that they want to do with it. I will let everyone know when I get any new information.

Thanks!
                        Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

flyinbrian

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
The park has informed us that we need to change the two TTF's (technical trail features) on the FREERIDE trail so they are safe for the AVERAGE trail rider. Apparently a few people were trying to ride over there skill level and have gotten hurt, broken bones. They won't be much of a TTF or a FREERIDE trail after we are done. So sad :( But they will still allow us to cross over the wet areas. We will probable work on them this Saturday morning. I'll post more details when I get things organized with the park manager.

Brian B
Brian Bowerbank

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links