//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 180007 times)

ltilmans

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #435 on: August 11, 2017, 08:16:08 PM »
Trail is dry and the first and last section are decent. Everything in the middle is massively overgrown. Some areas you can barely see your front tire. Not much traffic on this trail. Lot of branches down on trail. also seems like a lot of areas that used to be soft hard pack are now loose gravel/rock which makes for much slower riding.

biomed_j

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »
I ride out there this week and the rerouted needs a little rain but after they get worked in the trail will have a much better flow. But your statement about over growth is just bogus.

ltilmans

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
Seriously? The area by the rock n roll is so overgrown.

mojo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 13, 2017, 07:30:56 AM »
Have to agree with biomed_J.  Rode two laps the trails in great shape. 

tomc

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
First time out there today and really enjoyed it. I kinda expected a rougher feel from the descriptions I read. There were a lot of leg grabbers and face slappers but I'm thinking this might be normal for this trail. Anyway I think I cleared out all the spider webs for everyone. 

MikeHufhand

Trail Conditions
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
Glad you liked it. There's been a lot of positive changes at Westwood this past year. The reviews need to be updated for sure. Be sure to join Westwood Mtn Bikers on Facebook too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
Hit Westwood yesterday for the first time this year and really liked the changes.  Good job guys.  I had it at around 8.6 miles with 574ft of climbing.  Nice XC loop.

The leaves are starting to change and the views around the lake are really great.

The entry fee of $7.50 kind of shocked me but I think later in the season they quit collecting an entry fee for the winter.

If you haven't ridden Westwood in a few years you should go back and check it out.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »
I was on the fence regarding a trip to Westwood yesterday but officer Wall gave me the push I needed.  :D

Great time of year to ride out there. The trail was great.

gearboy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 16, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
Wanted to head out tomorrow and ride a couple of laps, but was curious if anyone knew how the trails are?

Thanks

Dave

MikeHufhand

« Reply #444 on: October 16, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »
Wanted to head out tomorrow and ride a couple of laps, but was curious if anyone knew how the trails are?

Thanks

Dave
Here now....conditions are stellar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwrunner2

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
Ran this morning large tree down right before bridge #13 or "Knockout" a smaller one right after horse crossing before the power lines.... Floating bridge has a pretty big hole on top of it and I noticed around some of the bolts or rivets its starting to crack around some of them also maybe it needs a closer look ... The first year I started going to Westwood was 05 and I'm pretty sure the bridge was in place then so it has some age..... Saw 4 eagles they took off  from the point on the east side at the end of the dam one with the white and 3 all dark. They flew across toward campground the  one with the white landed in a tree and two of them did aerial acrobatics crashing into each other little far away but really interesting. Not far from the 2 we saw in Dec  2015 behind those houses... also 8 or 9 deer were in the road by the gate house when we left then ended up at Sparkys Doghouse in MT Summit pretty good cheese burgers!!!!

grayhound

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 13, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Hats off to whomever has been adding “flow”to the trail! Visited today for the first time in awhile and while the earlier sections seem the same(with subtle improvements) the later sections have much more flow and speedy sections. Many of the turns have been slightly bermed so there’s much less washing out on the gravely tread! Of course the trail still has  the sudden braking turns with the usual punchy climbs which continues the original character of Westwood. Loved the ride!

wwrunner2

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 02, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
Ran WW this morning from the about  first chicane at horse trail interchange to the 5 mile marker a ton of trees down lost track of how  many. Lots of small sticks etc on the trail. A few smaller limbs down on the west side not a whole lot one bigger tree down at the pine trees west of the floating bridge. The park said 70mph winds came thru Thursday. I would check with park to see when its cleaned up. I had been the first one around since the storm. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:39:26 PM by wwrunner2 »

rangelinenaturepreserve

• Should be riding....
  • One is never truely lost when on two wheels.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 18, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »
Trail is in good shape overall.
If you wait for good weather to ride in Indiana you will be waiting forever.

HARVEY

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 01, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
The trail has not been maintained this year. The conditions are appalling. Ride here only if you like weeds, downed trees, low hanging branches, etc. Worst trail in Indiana.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links