//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 241261 times)

JTride

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #375 on: October 14, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »
I rode for the first time there yesterday.  The trails are in good condition with a lot of leaves.  A few parts through the forest are a bit overgrown with your arms constantly rubbing against the nature.  Otherwise, everything was in good shape and I enjoyed the experience.

twincamRob

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 15, 2015, 05:09:01 AM »
Thanks!

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
Mike Hufhand sprayed and trimmed some more of the areas that hadn't been hit yet a few days ago.  Maybe by the time snow flies we will have it all done.  Hopefully next year it won't get quite as bad before we can get to it, we are also working with the park on a different approach to keeping it cleared.  Thanks to everyone who came out to help this year!  Your efforts are appreciated by everyone who rides the trail!

Doug

Nitainium

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »
Trail awesome today. Log down at bridge 9 reported to gatehouse.

plapham

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
Trail nice but leafy!  Tree still at bridge 9, the WW crew should be on it given the fact you pay $5.50 to ride?
Lap

MikeHufhand

« Reply #380 on: January 18, 2016, 07:43:12 AM »
Rode the fatty at WW yesterday afternoon and the light snow was perfection. A couple of bridges were very slick though, so be cautious. Luna(the pooch) didn't like them one bit!

Tree down right after you cross the road(last mile) and the last 2 bridges are being rebuilt, so be ready to hike over or around.

Beautiful out there this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ringo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
The trail is in excellent shape- no tire ruts or frozen footprints. About 2-3" of snow cover even before the forecasted February 14 snowfall. Only one fresh fatty track and my track in the snow. Bonus: no gate fee today either.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 17, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
The majority of the trail is green right now, however there are still a couple spots that you might need to walk through.  The big dig never really dries completely out until about August!  lol  There were several trees down due to the high wind and storms we have had lately but the park knows about them and will be clearing them soon, if not already done. 

The trail is in need of some minor pruning in spots already.  We are working with Jan (park manager) to get the trail sprayed so weeds don't overtake the trail by mid summer like usually happens.  We predict that if we can get it sprayed then it will need minimal attention and will remain open and enjoyable all year.  If you have interest in helping with the pruning and spraying on workdays please message me your number so I can let you know when we will be working.  If you want to go out and work on your own feel free to do so.  A pair of hand pruners that will fit in your hydration pack will go a long way right now!

There are a few of us that are willing to help out and work to keep the trail enjoyable but a 10 mile loop is hard to do for just a few people, especially since there are only a few spots where we can reach by vehicle.  Any and all help is appreciated!

Doug

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »
Before the showers yesterday the trail was in great shape, minus a few greasy spots. Nearly wedged myself between the down tree and BR #3 which gave me a good laugh. I ducked just in time. There was another tree down, about 100 feet after BR #14 I believe.

The newly built replacement bridges are excellent but I agree, knowing of them and being ready for them is in your best interest. I hope to get out to Westwood more this year so I can rega militarize myself with where everything is at so I can get a bit more 'whoop' when entering the new bridges. Their angles remind me of the ramps on the TRTP tabletops, but don't quote me. Once you know what to expect they'll be great fun!

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »
I think we will need to reroute the approach to the new bridges since it doesn't flow well to use them.  The way the trail currently is it still lends its self to using the old bridges and it makes you have to turn back on the trail to enter the new bridge, especially for the first one, the second one isn't too bad.

marc_laker

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
Are the trails really red? I want to ride WW but will not make the drive if they are wet. Thanks for a quick reply.
If you aren't breaking stuff then you probably aren't doing it right!

HMBA-IMBA Member

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2016, 10:34:34 PM »
i was wondering the same thing. little bro has baseball in new castle tomorrow. i love westwood.
instagram: @joshlion843

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 14, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »
Sorry guys, I've been out of town backpacking the Appalachian Trail.  I got home last night and obviously with the storms that came through yesterday they will be red today.  I would say with as dry as it was before the storms that they will be yellow either tonight or tomorrow morning but definitely tomorrow afternoon they should be able to be ridden.

gearboy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
Anyone able to update how the trail is?  Was hoping to ride tomorrow, but only if things are good to go!

Thanks

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2016, 09:12:25 PM »
It's a solid yellow if not green.  It has a couple miles that are overgrown a little but the majority of the trail is good.  Have a good ride! 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links