//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 184226 times)

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »
I ran this morning. Should be excellent for the weekend.
Watch out for two trees fallen on trail: just past mile 3 and mile 4. Will require chainsaw work.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I went out Tuesday this week and cleared all that I could.  I got everything ridaeable except the one large tree across the trail and into the woods just before bridge 8.  There was one more that I couldn't move but I made a small re-route off the trail and if you can do a good log hop then you'll make it, if not then you'll have to get off for that one too.  There are a few more spots that need some attention but are good enough to ride for now.  I'll get back out as soon as I can but the park likes for their employees to be the ones with the chain saws and since they don't come back until either late March or early April it might be then before the trees are cleared off the trail.

Mike Huffhand has also been out making some trail improvements for flow and erosion issues.  They need to be ridden in (packed down) so if you have a fat bike and are looking for a place to take a spin please come help us and take a ride out here!  Other mountain bikes are just as welcome and needed but a fat bike packs a bigger path in one shot.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
The trail got cleared and trimmed back today from the beginning to the top of the dam.  I plan to continue cutting back and clearing everything I can on my available days.  I am hoping to have a work day sometime towards the end of March to knock out anything that is left.  Hopefully in early April we can start spraying the entire trail so it won't become overgrown during the summer like it has in years past. 

I would like to give a HUGE thank you to everyone that is working on the trail.  This is my home trail and I spend a lot of time on it all year round.  It aggravates me just as much as anyone when it is overgrown and hard to ride.  I am really hoping that everyone's combined efforts in opening and spraying the trail this year works and it is able to be kept open all year round!

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
How is the trail going to be this weekend?

MikeHufhand

« Reply #424 on: February 17, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
It's gonna be pretty darn good. I was working on the east side and it looks great. Trail tread is tacky to dry and the corridors are nice and open. Beautiful views of the lake everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeHufhand

« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »

trbsami

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 11, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Possibly get to do a first- for- me ride here Sat - what are trail conditions if there`s no more rain?
Thx
Niner Air 9/ 1x10/ Midge drop bar/ 700Cx40
2015 Trek Stache 9.  29x3.0!

MikeHufhand

« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
I was out there this past Monday doing some trailwork and conditions were pretty good. I only saw about a mile of trail, so I'm sure the usual places(Big Dig, bottom of dam) might have some moisture hanging around, but I wouldn't let that stop you.

TommyT

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 05, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »
Trail conditions were perfect today.

wwrunner2

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 24, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
A large tree down at the knock out bridge I wouldn't advise going under it not much holding it up , tree down about  a minute south of bridge 19 heading south, another tree held up by mostly vines just before the new bridge I  think its #8. Trail was firm and  tacky not a whole lot of water puddles on it  at all it. Rocks n roll had some extra water  and the usual areas but should  be good tomorrow, I would call gate house to double check. Surprised with all the rain but maybe it came down so fast it drained off quicker. 

MikeHufhand

« Reply #430 on: June 24, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
A large tree down at the knock out bridge I wouldn't advise going under it not much holding it up , tree down about  a minute south of bridge 19 heading south, another tree held up by mostly vines just before the new bridge I  think its #8. Trail was firm and  tacky not a whole lot of water puddles on it  at all it. Rocks n roll had some extra water  and the usual areas but should  be good tomorrow, I would call gate house to double check. Surprised with all the rain but maybe it came down so fast it drained off quicker.

How's the overgrowth?

wwrunner2

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
Several sections had been weed eated recently the worst spot now is from the clearing at the rocks and roll up to the floating bridge area. also some more spraying had been done in some areas also. The little black biting flies are really active now also

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #432 on: July 04, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
This morning the trail was dry - good riding. A little bit overgrown in some places but it was obvious where it had been sprayed and it helped a lot.

mojo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
Hot/Humid but great ride today. Thanks to all who have worked so hard to clear WW!!

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 05, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
Trail is perfect!  Go ride and check out all the new trail fixes and reroutes that Mike Huffhand has been working on this year!  Mike has had some help with spraying and trail work but he has been the driving force for the accomplishments.  It is worth checking out, especially if you haven't been out here for a while.  Westwood is in better shape right now than I have ever seen for this time of year.  It is as clear right now as it is in early spring before it has a chance to get overgrown.  Thank you to the many people who have put time in out here this year, your efforts have come to fruition!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links