//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trail Conditions

Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 28661 times)

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
Trail Conditions
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:40:41 PM »
Post trail conditions here.
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

moondawg

• Need to ride more!
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
Trails are in great shape!  Go ride.
2009 Trek Fuel EX8
199x Trek 2100 Beginner Tri-bike

Dean20

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
Does anyone know the current conditions at Franke?  I'd like to ride there tomorrow, wednesday afternoon.  I've never ridden there before so if anyone has route suggestions I'd appreciate it.  Thanks

john7722

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
The last time I rode up there, the trails were very poorly marked and very frustrating. But after riding with a local the trail became much more enjoyable and a fun ride. I heard the trail is soft and wet on in a few spots.

winstonsbrand

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »
Hey John,
Franke has been overhauled by the local cycling group, and has been marked, fixed, and improved greatly.  There are also new sections coming with more technical features.  As of last week, the trails were very dry and fast, with a few slightly soft spots.  It does stay wet when really rained upon, so after this past storm, they will be wet for a while.  Feel free to stop into Summit City Bicycles to check out a map, or get some tips for some additional trails.

Thanks
Aaron

Dean20

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
As a follow up to my own question.  I did ride earlier and had a good time.  I would echo Winstonsbrands comments about the greatly improved signage and conditions. 

I was fortunate enough to meet up with some locals who kindly showed me the best way around.  There are some cool features being added and I would say it is worth someones time who hasn't ridden here in a while to give it another shot.  I guess there is an official Monday evening ride that would be ideal for a new trail user to learn the best route.  There is a nice map at 3rvs.com as well.

john7722

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
Great to hear the trail has been improved. I cant wait to get up there again. What are the features you guys are working on? are they rideable yet?

Dean20

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »
I think we've had four consecutive days without rain now.  Does anyone know if that is long enough to dry up the trails at Franke?  I live on the opposite side of town so I'm trying to avoid driving over there just to be forced to turn around and come home.

winstonsbrand

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »
With any rain, Franke will be wet at best, and flooded at worst.  Unfortunately, with the soil type and proximity to the creek, it doesn't drain very well.  Even the "magic soil" of Winona has been a little wet lately, so I would just be patient and wait for the trails to really dry out. 

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
Even the "magic soil" of Winona has been a little wet lately

No removing the magic soil of Winona to try to dry your own trail faster... :)

I'm sick to death of all of the rain this year.  I helped groom the trail in Columbia City Sunday and the north side wasn't bad with mud, but the south side was slick in a lot of places.  It just sucks all over!

Next week I'm biting the bullet and getting a road bike.  That'll chase the rain away...

tad armstrong

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
    • Hesitation Point Bicycles
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Trail was too wet to ride this afternoon. Slippery in some places, muddy in others. I don't have much experience with this trail (I live in Indy), but I can attest to the fact that it doesn't drain very well.
Hesitation Point Bicycles
www.hesitationpoint.com

onlyontwo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »
I thought it was time to bump this. 

If anyone is up in the area, Franke park is a blast to ride.  My wife's family live in Decatur and I have family in Fort Wayne.  We head up there a few times a month and love riding Franke.  It has a bit of everything and is a great place to get lost for a few hours.  It is easy to get turned around, but there are so many fun sections to ride it isn't bad doing it more than once.   ;D

Check it out if you're in the area.

Cheers,
Andy

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
Anyone out there??  ;D

Hitting the trails tomorrow hopefully, been a few years looking forward to it.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

amfriedt

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
Shark, I rode about 5.5 miles last Saturday and the trails were in pretty good condition.  Great trails for a couple hour ride.

It was my first time riding Franke, so I didn't really know anything about it until I started riding.  I rode most of the green(beginner) and yellow(intermediate) sections.  I might have tried some of the red(difficult) sections if it wasn't my first time on the trails this year.  The arrowed wooden posts along the trail are easy to follow if you start in the right direction.  Some of the trees are also color coded with paint.

Watch out for lots of squirrels and a couple garter snakes under the leaves.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »

did a couple laps up there this afternoon , was a great time. trail markers wear a great addition.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links