//Trail Status mouse over Java // Hobbs signage (at the bottom)

Author Topic: Hobbs signage (at the bottom)  (Read 977 times)

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Hobbs signage (at the bottom)
« on: May 21, 2019, 08:27:40 AM »
A buddy of mine who rides bikes a lot, but hasn't ridden BCSP a ton rode at the park this weekend. He said he rode Shelly trail from GV toward Hobbs and while carrying the bit of speed you gather at the very bottom of the Shelly trail went "straight" (rather than making the hard left to lower HP).
He said he got about 1/2 way up flow 2 of Hobbs when he realized he was going up Hobbs, at which point he turned around to get going the right direction.
My first though was 'how TF did you not know you were going toward Hobbs at the intersection??' Then as we got talking about it I realized that I know the trail system so well that I can't really make these sort of mistakes. But to someone who doesn't, this particular mistake could be very dangerous.
I asked "didn't you see the signage??" He said "once I got back down I saw it. It's a laminated paper thing on the ground. I was going fast enough it just made more sense to me to go straight than to make a hard left." (for the record, I've never paid attention to the signage there since I know the trail and know which way to go)...
It may be good for safety to have some sort of big red "X" (or something) sign there. Possibly something in the middle of the trail that you have to ride around that makes it very clear that you are going the wrong way.
Just a thought.

JFR!

Unfit Nitwit

Re: Hobbs signage (at the bottom)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
As it was planned to be one-way over to Aynes there was likely a quick-fix on the signing. A couple of posts with "Exit Only" on the end of Hobbs (or Go Left arrows?) and the start of Shelley could help.

If possible, something more noticeable than our usual sign posts. I have talked with hikers and riders who claim there are no signs anywhere on the trails, and I know they are easy to see if you look around at the intersections.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
Might even need a couple signs that say "wrong way" in case a person gets past the exit signs at the bottom of Hobbs.  Could get real messy if a hiker, runner or cyclist climbs Hobbs. 

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
Improved signage is part of the $200k grant that HMBA just received. We just got the grant two weeks ago, so plans are very early stage, but it is in the works.

Here is a link to some more info on the grant.

http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?topic=15543.msg121524#msg121524

David Krahulik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 10:36:49 PM »
Still needs signage.  I got turned around Sunday and ended up at the bottom of Hobbs.  I did not see any warning signs. 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links