//Trail Status mouse over Java // Help! Need help deciding... YETI SB.4.5 or Hightower 29r

Author Topic: Help! Need help deciding... YETI SB.4.5 or Hightower 29r  (Read 162 times)

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
Help! Need help deciding... YETI SB.4.5 or Hightower 29r
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:27:18 AM »
So, I'm down to new bike time and can't decide. Anyone have experience with either of these bikes (HT in 29 mode). I'm coming off of a 120mm 29... I'm a strong descender and strong on flats but average on the longer climbs. I'm looking for something a little 'more' that my 100 rear/120 front bike in terms of suppleness, but don't want to give up that lively quick feel. The HT strikes me as a bigger version of a Tallboy whereas the Yeti seems like it's very similar except for it's sitting at 114/140, so closer to what I have, but will it give me the cush I want for my 45 year old backside?

Are Yetis a pain to maintain? I hear about cable rattling issues but dang they are so sexy lol. Reviews are strong.

Is a HT 'overbiked' for Indiana trails with 135/140? I ride Indy area a lot for training but hit BCSP nearly every weekend.

Help me out!!! Thanks.
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

ATimman

• View Profile
Re: Help! Need help deciding... YETI SB.4.5 or Hightower 29r
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
So, I'm down to new bike time and can't decide. Anyone have experience with either of these bikes (HT in 29 mode). I'm coming off of a 120mm 29... I'm a strong descender and strong on flats but average on the longer climbs. I'm looking for something a little 'more' that my 100 rear/120 front bike in terms of suppleness, but don't want to give up that lively quick feel. The HT strikes me as a bigger version of a Tallboy whereas the Yeti seems like it's very similar except for it's sitting at 114/140, so closer to what I have, but will it give me the cush I want for my 45 year old backside?

Are Yetis a pain to maintain? I hear about cable rattling issues but dang they are so sexy lol. Reviews are strong.

Is a HT 'overbiked' for Indiana trails with 135/140? I ride Indy area a lot for training but hit BCSP nearly every weekend.

Help me out!!! Thanks.
You canít go wrong with the Yeti. I ride my SB6 all around Indy and BCSP and down hill lift parks. For climbs I can lock out the fork and rear shock but usually forget to because the switch infinity keeps tires planted on the ground when climbing. Other than having to grease the switch infinity at least on the newer models which is easy thereís no more maintenance to a Yeti than any other mountain bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Yeti SB6 Proven Here

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:33:11 AM »
I did a demo on a High Tower last summer up in Vermont and the thing ripped downhill and climbed steep switchbacks exceptionally well.  I found it fit a little on the small side and at 6-1 the XL was perfect.

It believe it can also be outfitted with 27.5+ wheels if you wanted to change it up on occasion.  I believe this is the way Scott Irons has his set up.  Check with ICS.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks, Wall. Yeah, I have no interest in the 27+ version and would definitely go the 29 route. I've spoken with Scott (I use ICS for all my mechanical work) , but I'm not sure he has the exact spec I'm looking for. I've heard it rips on the downs, so I'm glad to hear it climbs well, too.

Haven't seen you on the trails lately--you been out there?
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links