//Trail Status mouse over Java // Thinking about picking up an 08 Stumpjumper Comp frame and swapping parts over

Author Topic: Thinking about picking up an 08 Stumpjumper Comp frame and swapping parts over  (Read 948 times)

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
I very got an 08 Gary Fisher Procaliber that I bought as a frame and built up. It's a XC bike, and I've made do with it for a few years, but always thought I'd be better off with more of a trail bike. This one is good and comfortable for long rides, but not really stable on steeper downhills, flow trails, and light jumps. Also is not good for rock gardens, which seem to be becoming more common on local trails.
So for those who know me, I missed put all last year because of a broken neck, but plan on getting back on the trail this summer.
The Stumpy is on Craigslist locally for $280, but obviously could probably get for less.
My bike has a 120mm Marzocchi marathon fork, Shimano SLX hydraulic disk brakes, and a decent Shimano wheelset. It's also running 1x9. X-9 rear shifter and derailleur.
I'm on a budget, so swapping everything over to a better trail frame is within my budget. A whole new bike is not.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Why do you think the Stumpjumper frame would be better than the Procaliber?
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
It's more the frame geometry than the actual bike.
I haven't been able to find the geometry of both to compare, but looking at my bike next to others I've ridden with on the same trails, m[size=78%]y bike is a XC bike, and has hardly any head tube angle.[/size]
I would like a "slacker" bike for the more the aggressive riding I do in Brown county and SWW.
That is my question to you guys. downhill and technical trails.
Would it be worth the effort to switch, or wait for something else to come along.
David
"The bike rescuer"

Unfit Nitwit

I would wait for something more specific to what you are looking for in geometry. 

Best I can find states the HT angle is 68.5* with a 120mm fork on the Stumpjumper. The Procaliber was 68.9* with a 100mm G2 adjusted fork (69.7* without G2 fork). With your 120mm fork the Procaliber might be within 0.5 degrees but I am guessing at that.
26" wheels and slack head angles along with pedal friendly seat tube angles and reasonable frame weight might be difficult to find.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Yea.. I think I've come to the same conclusion.... I'll ride this one another summer, and see what happens. Maybe I'll try a couple friends bikes out.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

David
"The bike rescuer"

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links