//Trail Status mouse over Java // What's Everyone's Favorite Tire

Author Topic: What's Everyone's Favorite Tire  (Read 1940 times)

lweilenman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
What's Everyone's Favorite Tire
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:40:01 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new set of 29er tires and  was wondering what people preferred for local rides around Indy and Brown County.
2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

indyshred

• View Profile
Re: What's Everyone's Favorite Tire
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
Maxxis Ardent Race front & rear. Also Maxxis Ikon on rear. If price is a factor Forte Pisgahs are great, but the old ones NOT the Pisgah 2's.

lweilenman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »
I've ran the regular ardents and liked them. I will look into the race version.
2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
In the winter time, I like Schwalbe Nobby Nics and Maxxis Ardents. Both have a reasonable balance of grip and speed.

For dry summer conditions, Racing Ralphs, Ikons and Bontrager XR1 and XR0's.  For slicker summer conditions, Rocket Rons.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
Racing Ralph EVO series for me.  I run them all year long but only hit trails between April and November.  Before we had our son I would run a Nobby Nic up front during the winter.  My buddy ran Ralph's and his current set is Pisgahs.

rmc

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
Anything Bontrager Team Issue.  They are light, fast, and hold up well.  Pick your tread depending on terrain aggression level. We have Team Issue XR1, XR2, XR3, and SE4 on our various MTB's.  The lower the number the shallower the tire and more XC "race" level it becomes.  SE4 is a bit wild for Indiana but on a proper long travel bike it's fantastic for traveling.  I don't have any experience with the lesser model Bontrager tires.  I have only used the Team Issue.

If you aren't traveling and riding chunky trails in other states try the XR2 or XR3.  They do it all just fine.  XR1 or 0 get pretty wishy-washy in certain scenarios.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:59:54 PM by rmc »

lweilenman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »
thanks for the replies I've heard a lot if talk about the bontrager tires

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
Bontrager XR3 back with XR4 front for winter. Racing Ralph rest of the year.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
Nobby Nics all year round.  Same carcass as the Racing Ralph with almost identical rolling resistance coefficient and more traction.  I used to run Racing Ralph but wasn't happy with the lack of traction.  I haven't tried the Bontrager so I don't know how they compare.  I have run the Continental Trail Kings and others and have settled on the Nobby Nics.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
Riding a Santa Cruz Tallboy... I've tried several combos on several different trails and my favorite tires have been Maxxis Ikon 2.35 running at about 23/26 psi. Totally different than the Ikon 2.2, btw--like a different tire.

Tried Ardents at both sizes and hated them. Unless you're leaning over quite a bit, they were all over the place. I'm thinking of running an Agressor on the back this summer, so it'd be an Ikon 2.35 up front and an Agressor out back.

Avoid the impulse to 'over-tire' as many do. Also, remember that a tire is a part of a system that includes your suspension and your psi choices. Once you dial the psi and suspension even a less than perfect tire can work pretty well whereas even the 'perfect' tire, if over-inflated and on a rock hard suspension setup, can feel like garbage. Let us know what you decide!
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
Anything Maxxis.  Specialized is coming out with a new tire.  If they can get the TPI right they say it is a seller.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
I've tried a lot, but LOVE my 2.35 Maxxis IKON up front (NOT a 2.2!) and Aggressor out back. Fast rolling and more than enough grip for 98% of riding in the Midwest. I may go to a Rekon out front at some point but so fat this is my best combo.
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links