//Trail Status mouse over Java // Cold weather gloves

Author Topic: Cold weather gloves  (Read 1458 times)

olas29

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Cold weather gloves
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
Whats the Best cold weather riding gloves without a lot of padding? XL in summer gloves if it makes a difference.
 Asking for a friend.
Gone riding....

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Cold weather gloves
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
9 years experience riding 8 hours a day year round the best I have found are bar mitts.  Installed will allow you to ride with standard riding gloves in single digit temps with no problem.

Gore Bike Wear makes a good winter glove that is not too bulky just make sure they are not too tight so air can circulate around the fingers to keep warm.  Still not as good as bar mitts.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
I use Pearl Izumi mid-weight gloves made with "Gavia" material.  These do a great job keeping me warm down to around freezing and still offer great feeling and dexterity in order use the controls.  Below freezing, I'm with Wall, bar mitts all the way (coupled with the above gloves or even light full finger gloves).  I've ridden this combo way below 0 degrees with no issues at all. 

quadracer12

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »
Bar mitts for sure.

rmc

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
A good quality glove works great.  Not been a fan of Bar Mitts.  Maybe if we lived in the UP Michigan no Indiana.  I have the lobster claw style Bontrager gloves, they are too warm if it's anything above 25'.  You definitely lose some feeling of the shifting and brake levers but you get used to it quick.  I also recently picked up some Louis Garneau 5 finger gloves that have worked into the 20's just fine with wind, they have a flap that pops out of the top of the glove and covers your fingers if need be mid ride as an additional layer.  Great lever feel there.  3rd pair of cold winter gloves are the Bontrager Velocis that seem to work great in the low 40's to low 30's.  I chose depending on what I'm riding, and how cold/windy it gets. 

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
There is a podcast "Just riding along" on mountainbike radio.com.  Matt talks about winter riding.  Ski gloves, bar mitts, bike gloves.  Plus and minus of all.

phattire

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »
I use Craft lobster gloves when it is below freezing. They come with liners and you can change the liners for other thicker liner gloves if it gets colder. They work really well and are easy to put on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gratefulbiker

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
10-15 degrees is about my limit and I find that a regular full finger glove and a quality wind/ water proof liner style glove over the top works pretty well. Dexterity and feel are still really good and as long as my hands are warm when I start, I haven't had to cut any rides short due to frosty fingers.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Also you can put hand warmers in your gloves.

SurlyWill

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Pogs are overkill for this region.

Layering works well. I will use standard gloves to winter gloves along with an Outdoor Research glove shell. It works really well as if you find you've overdressed you can just take off the shell. Likewise if you need to stop and do maintenance you can briefly remove the shell and you still have a gloves hand.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links