//Trail Status mouse over Java // Wide Bars

Author Topic: Wide Bars  (Read 819 times)

JMcFly

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • -- everything is a jump --
    • View Profile
Wide Bars
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
Hey y'all, considering moving from a 740 to 800mm bar. I'm 5'8" on a medium full suspension bike. I'm a barefoot waterskier so I get the benefits of a wider handle for better stability so.. ok nevermind. I'm doing it. Evidently the combination of a Titos on the rocks and the therapeutic benefits of typing out my thoughts was all I needed. Have a great day and I'll see you on the trail soon!
"Did I go over my handlebars?"

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Wide Bars
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:26:39 PM »
I hope you arenít riding anywhere there are trees.  800mm bars are asking for broken knuckles.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

lweilenman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »
I run 780mm bars and the only place I have a problem is at Rangeline.
2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
Donít listen to fett. Although Iím also 5í8 and I run 780s on all my bikes and only place it gets sketchy is rangeline and a couple spots on walnut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
Donít listen to fett. Although Iím also 5í8 and I run 780s on all my bikes and only place it gets sketchy is rangeline and a couple spots on walnut

But do you really want to be like Steve?   ;D  Realistically, the only time I find wide bars to be advantageous is with really big, heavy tires like a fat bike or big travel plus bike, where the weight is working against a change of direction. I am 5'7".  Otherwise, I like the quick turning and nimbleness of a narrower bar, since most of Indiana trails are wooded and twisty. I run 640's on my hardtail, 690's on my XC race bike (Trek Top Fuel) and 720's on my EX5 Plus bike.  I have tried wider and I think they just make handling feel ponderous and slow.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

tomc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
I was going to post a question on bar width as well.

I broke my bike awhile back and started to ride my sons bike for the interim. I was initially riding with 660 bars and when I hopped on my sons bike they were 635. I got used to those narrow bars as these were my old bars anyway but immediately noticed the steering was pretty squirrely, ... twitchy, ... too quick maybe is the word? After awhile it didn't seem as bad. But I did build up a hardtail frame (my back groans..) I had in the shed because it's all I have at the moment. Put my bars back on and felt back at home. The steering was a bit slower but seemed right.

So I guess the question I have is what benefits would I see with wider bars? I can't imagine 800 but maybe it has a specific purpose?? I already clip my bars on trees on occasion. I'm not a jumper or daredevil and just like to ride XC kinda stuff. Nothing too technical. What's the deal with wide bars?   

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
Wider bars help going down/thru rowdy stuff at speed. Stabilizes the front end more and provides some additional leverage. Also helps a bit on jump and grunt climbs while SSing. On flow trail and most IN singletrack probably not going to notice much benefit.

jeffj

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »

ATimman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
I have 800mm bars on my new Yeti on gnarly DH trails they help keep the bike stable and straight around here their not necessary. Bar width is up to the individual by what feels best and keeps the rider in control of the bike.

2018 Yeti SB6 Proven Here

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
No one has said it yet, but you should also consider how broad shouldered you are. I have very narrow shoulders, so 760 is right on for me, whereas that extra 40 would better fit someone with my height but broader upper body frame....
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
Don't forget to look at the stem length if you go wider. You may want to reduce that.

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »
I have 750 mm on my bike and have caught it on trees numerous times, thou I still use barends. Riding all over Indiana.  Listen to Jeff.

gratefulbiker

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 11:39:03 AM »
Don't forget to look at the stem length if you go wider. You may want to reduce that.

^^^^ This. If you're going with significantly wider bars, you'll want to shorten the stem as well. As bars get wider, weight bias moves forward and needs to be accounted for. Not to mention wide bars and stems longer than 70mm can make for some funky handling.
6'1" and haven't run anything narrower than 750 in a long time. I ride all across the midwest and can count the legit tight spots on one hand. IMO the handling benefits of the wide bar/ short stem combo far outweigh the downsides, especially if you're looking to improve your technical riding skills.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
Hey y'all, considering moving from a 740 to 800mm bar. I'm 5'8" on a medium full suspension bike. I'm a barefoot waterskier so I get the benefits of a wider handle for better stability so.. ok nevermind. I'm doing it. Evidently the combination of a Titos on the rocks and the therapeutic benefits of typing out my thoughts was all I needed. Have a great day and I'll see you on the trail soon!

What Yeti do you have, btw? Like it? Love it? Let me know...I'm about to pull the trigger on the 4.5!
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

ATimman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »

What Yeti do you have, btw? Like it? Love it? Let me know...I'm about to pull the trigger on the 4.5!
I have the SB6 and love it. I ride it everywhere.

2018 Yeti SB6 Proven Here

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links