//Trail Status mouse over Java // Hobbs Hollow Update

Author Topic: Hobbs Hollow Update  (Read 5706 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Hobbs Hollow Update
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Alex and his crew have connected the Hobbs Hollow trail to the Hesitation Point Trail Head.  We will be out installing signage this weekend. (10:00AM Saturday morning). 

In all there are about 100 Features on this trail (Berms, Tables, Optional tech features and Optional Gap jumps). 

When you ride it for the first time, please be conservative and get to know the trail before riding at full speed.  If you go fast on this trail, you will be getting air!.  Make sure you know what you are getting into.

Some important notes

1) This is a one way bike specific trail, Starting at HP.  Do not ride the opposite direction.

2) Hobbs Hollow can be broken into 4 segments.
-Flow 1 (350' descent from HP to the Hobbs Valley)
-Climb 1 (250' of climbing to gain elevation for...)
-Flow 2 (250' descent back down to the Valley
-Climb 2 (hand build single track climing up to and connecting to the Aynes/Green Valley intersection.

3) Double Track Option exit
 -After Flow 2, you can either take Climb 2 to Green Valley or the Hobbs Hollow double track.  The Hobbs Hollow double track will take you to the bottom of Hesitation Point.

4) If you have been riding Hobbs Hollow during the construction process, please stop using the 2 access double tracks that go up to the road.  We do not want riders entering or exiting Hobbs on these double tracks outside of emergency situations of for trail maintenance.  Also, please do not exit the trail at the bottom of Flow 1 (going through the creek/valley).  Basically, enter from HP and ride Flow 1, Climb 1, Flow 2 before either Climb 2 or the Hobbs double track to exit.

5) We are strongly suggesting that hikers and trail runners avoid the flow sections.  We are signing the trail such that they are strongly encouraged to use Climb 2 and the Hobbs Valley Double track. 

6) Riders are still responsible to ride under control.  You may encounter hikers, trail workers, other riders, park staff, etc....  So ride under control and look ahead of where you are going.

7) If you stop along the trail, please do not stop on the trail, especially in landing areas.

8) This will likely create increased uphill traffic on HP. Please remember that the down hill rider is responsible to yield (stop if needed) to ensure a safe and curious pass.  Note the long term plan is to make HP into a loop and build a trail connecting HP to the Limekiln/ Walnut intersection.  This will reduce traffic on HP when complete.  (please support the HMBA trail fund to help make this happen).

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbs Hollow Update
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for all of the work that made this trail happen. Most people have no idea how many hours it took outside of the actual labor.  It is really a signature trail that already has people from around the Midwest coming to check it out.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
Doh!  Took the HP two-track connector for the first time today and can't believe how many times I rode past it on my way to climb 2.  For anyone else who wants to take this "short cut" before the signs are up, turn right on the 2-track immediately after the stream crossing at the bottom of Flow 2.  It's leaf covered and doesn't look like a bike trail, but that'll change as more people start riding it.  You will eventually see two separate 2-tracks on your right.  Take the second one.  It will bring you out to HP just down stream of the foundation.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
We will install signage for the double track as well as Hobbs, so it will be easy to follow.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for all of the work that made this trail happen. Most people have no idea how many hours it took outside of the actual labor.  It is really a signature trail that already has people from around the Midwest coming to check it out.

Yes, a big thanks to all who were involved and who helped make this happen. 
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:28:40 PM »
Glad to have the opportunity to ride this today(from mid Michigan)! Very well done. Fast and fun, and I feel it really completes the portfolio, in terms of trail styles at brown County. It gets my seal of approval.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
Nice preview. And they caught me at 1:32 in the second video, setting up to shoot the section above.

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
So, Hobbs had its first official rescue Thursday afternoon.  Thanks to all the riders who stopped to help, guide the EMTs to my location, ride my bike out, etc.  Bottom line is that I got too close to the trail edge in the compression on the back side of a roller, lost front wheel traction in the leaves and landed square on my hip. Bike is fine, but I now have a total hip replacement. Doc was surprised, said the bone was thicker than normal and strong so it was due to impact and not degeneration.   

Fortunately it happened fairly close to the "emergency exit" on Flow 2 so it was an easy rescue for the EMTs.

It was my second lap of the afternoon on Hobbs and I've ridden it at least 50 times over all so I knew the trail and conditions.  Plus, I was only rolling it, not jumping.  Stuff happens, fast.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »
So, Hobbs had its first official rescue Thursday afternoon.  Thanks to all the riders who stopped to help, guide the EMTs to my location, ride my bike out, etc.  Bottom line is that I got too close to the trail edge in the compression on the back side of a roller, lost front wheel traction in the leaves and landed square on my hip. Bike is fine, but I now have a total hip replacement. Doc was surprised, said the bone was thicker than normal and strong so it was due to impact and not degeneration.   

Fortunately it happened fairly close to the "emergency exit" on Flow 2 so it was an easy rescue for the EMTs.

It was my second lap of the afternoon on Hobbs and I've ridden it at least 50 times over all so I knew the trail and conditions.  Plus, I was only rolling it, not jumping.  Stuff happens, fast.
Damn dude heel quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
JCampbell,  Sorry to hear about your crash.  I hope the recovery goes well.  How long to they think you'll be down?

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
JCampbell,  Sorry to hear about your crash.  I hope the recovery goes well.  How long to they think you'll be down?
1 week restricted to walking around the house and 6 weeks for full recovery, defined as when the bone grows into the rough surface of the implant.  Probably no trail biking till spring and I'll miss the ski season.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links