//Trail Status mouse over Java // All on the Same weekend

Author Topic: All on the Same weekend  (Read 541 times)

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
All on the Same weekend
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »
The Brown County Epic, The Tour de Cure, and The Hilly Hundres are all on the Same weekend this year! >:(

tomc

• View Profile
Re: All on the Same weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
This happens quite often and is really a bummer. I've got people wanting to do the Epic with me but they're already signed up for the Hilly. My understanding is that there is some collaboration within the Hilly group and Epic group for scheduling purposes (don't know about the Cure) but the IU football schedule, for some reason, seems to put a jinx on things working on opposite weekends. Still not sure why it can't be worked out so we can all enjoy the premier biking events in the state. Instead the proceeds are probably split somewhat as to the amounts they could raise if they were on staggered weekends so I'm not sure why this isn't more of a priority if the Epic is trying to raise maximum money for trail funds and so forth. Maybe it is but they can't get it to work?? I don't know but it's frustrating to say the least.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
Unfortunately there are many conflicts.  The Hilly can only be held on a weekend when there is not an IU home football game.

For us the biggest factor is, the Epic can only be held when there is not a conflicting event at Brown County State Park. The State Park has many events in the Fall, and this is the only weekend available, which we reserved with the State Park well in advance.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
Believe me, the frustration is shared.  In the past, Epic organizers have tried to schedule around the Hilly....only to have the Hilly moved to the same weekend as the Epic because of a change in the IU Football schedule.  Nothing either organization could do to prevent the conflict.  Steve is also spot on with his comments about having to schedule around the parks availability.  The options are very limited. 

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
In the early days of the Epic we did try to schedule around the Hilly.  But that meant we could not set our date until the Hilly date was set, and that is dependent on the IU football schedule.  Even when waiting for the IU schedule, we still ended up with a year we conflicted because IU made a change to their schedule. 

As mentioned, there are a number of restrictions form the State Park.  We can not push back later due to the how busy the park is for leaf season.  The weekend before has a long running event. 

We also have seen more mtb festivals popping up.  If we moved up 2 or 3 weeks, we would be on top or back to back with the Hasmerfest. 

With all that in mind the 2018 Big Woods Brown County Epic will be Oct 12th -14th, 2018. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links