//Trail Status mouse over Java // Bells on bikes..

Author Topic: Bells on bikes..  (Read 373 times)

tomc

• View Profile
Bells on bikes..
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
I found this bear bell at Goodwill and strapped it to my handlebars to make a little noise as I ride as I didn't have a normal bike bell. It's has a magnet to help mute it when I don't need the sound but it pretty much just jingles as I ride the trails.

The only reason I'm writing this is because you would not believe the amount of positive comments I get from it. Numerous people, many times, have thanked me for having it. Often times people are completely out of the way on blinder turns allowing me to pass and thanking me as I pass. I was really shocked that such a little thing helped so much.

I'm not sure what you all use, if anything, but thought I'd pass along my experience. I believe once I had a few bikers that may have been annoyed with the jingling but it's so worth it that I'm keeping them on. The only thing with a normal bell is that you have to ring it manually. Sometimes you may not know hikers are present and may come up on them faster than you'd like because you didn't know they were there. The constant ringing seems to alert people that may be hidden from view. Like em or hate em, just thought I'd share.

The ironic thing is that I rode in Michigan by myself recently and came up upon a bear that I don't believe heard the bells. Go figure.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Re: Bells on bikes..
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »
Several years ago I just about ran into a runner at Town Run. It was at a totally blind corner and she was running the opposite direction. It could've been disastrous.

After that, I bought a bear bell and used it for a while. Not sure why I stopped, maybe I felt a little self-conscious.

I still believe it's a good thing.

Although, it's probably a moot point since it will never stop raining here.  :P

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
Re: Bells on bikes..
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
all my bikes have bells. So many uses. Good on blind corners, great for hikers up ahead. Ring early and ring often.
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links