//Trail Status mouse over Java // Tubeless experience

Author Topic: Tubeless experience  (Read 845 times)

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
Tubeless experience
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Anyone notice recurring "wet spots" on their tires where a clear oily fluid is seeping through sealed punctures?  After nearly a year of use I have 6 or 7 wet spots on the rear tire that show up after the bike sits a day or so, but no air leaks.  I expected to see white spots from the Stan's sealant, but all I can see are tiny cuts that get wet overnight.  Shaking the tire, it still sounds like plenty of fluid inside so it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Tubeless experience
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
I've only set up 3 tires tubeless but they all "weep" water as you describe. Let them sit for an extended period and they drip on the floor.

I use Bontrager sealant.

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
I always get that with my Racing Ralphs after I've raced in PA. Pointy rock is unkind to Ralph.

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »
With both Stan's and home brew sealant I get that now and then.  I take that as an indicator it needs changed.  Most of the time I see more is after the bike is exposed to a big temperature swing, or sits for a while as mentioned.
I have had some tires where the solids coat the casing, not staying mixed in the carrier liquid.  That might be the situation you have if the sealant is a year old and it's time for some fresh.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links