//Trail Status mouse over Java // Tires for DINO series XC races

Author Topic: Tires for DINO series XC races  (Read 1184 times)

Michael Nevitt

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Tires for DINO series XC races
« on: June 06, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »
I'm running in the dino series XC races this year for the first time and I'm riding a 2015 Stumpjumper FSR. I'm running the stock Ground Control Butcher and Purgatory tires which I actually like a lot, but they could be faster rolling I'm finding. I'm looking for some advice and going to a tire that might be a little lighter and faster rolling. I don't mind sacrificing a little traction, as I know that compromise is the name of the game.

What do you race on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hocky

• View Profile
Re: Tires for DINO series XC races
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »
Schwalbe Racing Ralph is a pretty fast tire that has reasonable grip and relatively durable.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Honestly, it's all a trade off for the most part, there is no silver bullet.  IMO, in the areas that DINO races, there's not a lot of need for tons of traction.  I would go with the fastest rolling combo that fits your liking and budget...with good sidewall protection!

With that said, I've used several sets over the years.  My two favorites have been Schwalbe Ralphs in the rear and Rocket Ron in the front and Specialized Renegades (front & rear).  The Renegades hook up much better than the look like they should, but aren't going to compare to what you're running now.  The Schwalbe combo hooked up a little better, but probably don't roll quite as fast.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
I tend to run a very fast rolling rear and a knobbier front. At Sunday's BCSP race, I ran a Schwalbe Rocket Ron in the front and an ultra light, nearly bald Bontrager 29-0 on the rear. On dry hard pack and with low pressures, you really do not need much in the way of knobs.

If I have a wetter, slick race, I would put either a Maxxis Aspen or another Rocket Ron on the rear depending upon how techie and how slick it is.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links