//Trail Status mouse over Java // Question For Tree Geeks

Author Topic: Question For Tree Geeks  (Read 373 times)

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Question For Tree Geeks
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:28:23 PM »
I've noticed, both at BCSP and in the area in general, pockets of trees that are just now putting out a flush of new leaves.  These trees look bare and don't yet have enough foliage to create any kind of canopy.  It seems that it is not species specific, but rather location dependent.  White oak, black/red oak, elm, hickory are all affected, from clusters of trees to one or more acres.  But it is only the taller trees, 25' and taller,  that are affected.  Below 20 or 25 feet the foliage looks just like the rest of the forest.  Ferns, seedlings, saplings, small trees are all full and open. 

Any thoughts on what caused this?  Did pockets of cold air, heavy rain or hail kill or delay the first flush of leaves that started to open along with the rest of the forest? 

Ash are late, thin or dead because of EAB, walnuts are always very late, and many beech are late this year.   But what about the others? 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:00:38 AM by Mahk »
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Question For Tree Geeks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:06:54 PM »
Lots of buds killed by freezes this year. Early unseasonable warmth got a lot of plants started early, then a freeze would kill the buds. I have seen the results of this in my garden this year. I see no reason why it would be different for trees in the woods

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links