//Trail Status mouse over Java // 1X gearing

Author Topic: 1X gearing  (Read 1100 times)

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
1X gearing
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
My bike currently has a 1X11 setup: a SRAM GX 1000, 32T X-Sync crank and a SRAM XG-1150, 10-42, 11 speed cassette.  I like the range of gears, but I would like more on the lower end, and don't need what I currently have on the high end.  Thus I would like to shift the whole range of gears downward. 

SRAM offers a 30T crankset for this setup.  Will going from a 32T to a 30T make much of a difference?  Is it relatively easy or inexpensive to switch out the crankset?   

On this page:  https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/gx   it looks like there is a direct mount chainring that offers more on the lower end (26 or 28, as well as the 30), but I don't understand how the chainring works with the crankset in a 1X setup. 

Thanks
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: 1X gearing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
You will notice the drop from 32t to 30t. Swapping the chain ring isn't too difficult. There is a SRAM 30t chain ring listed for GX cranks.  Look for chain rings with a 94 bcd.
If you want to go with a 28t or 26t then go with a direct mount crank.

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
What Ed said and the 30t x 42 combo will be the same as the 24t granny and 36t cog on your old 2 by 10 speed for comparison.

I just made the move to a 30t on one of my bikes and looking to do the same on the other.  Like you, I like that little easier spin going up instead of cranking hard on the way down.

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Do you really need geared that low for anything in Indiana?  I ride a 34t front on my 27.5 bike and I wouldn't run any lower than that due to limited upper end.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
Do you really need geared that low for anything in Indiana?  I ride a 34t front on my 27.5 bike and I wouldn't run any lower than that due to limited upper end.

There are plenty of places in Yellowwood, Gnaw Bone Camp, HNF, VBR,  climbing out of Bobcat at BCSP, etc. that I am glad to have my 22/36 in Southern Indiana.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Tomasz Golas

• Joanna & Tomek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
I have sram gx 1000 black BB30 175mm 30t . Never ridden, i took it off from new bike. I can sell it for cost of new ring. it will be also easier to switch if decided riding gravel etc. [/font]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:43:54 PM by Tomasz Golas »
Joanna & Tomek

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
I just switched to a 28 on my riot just to give myself a little more range like fett I ride out in yellow wood vbr Gnawbone and hnf. Plus my riot is also my go to out of state bike pisgah Kentucky and anywhere else I might go. My hard tail the 30 is more then enough plus it's also 3-4 lbs lighter. My fat bike has a 28 and wide range sunrace cassette which matches perfect. For all those places in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

goatbike

• Global Moderator
  • Training wheels on
  • Wheels down but not always wheels on the ground!
    • View Profile
1X gearing
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
Remember your tire/wheel size will need to be taken into account when selecting gears. A smaller tire means lower effective travel distance per pedal rotation.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:42 AM »
I am running a 30t oval chainring and an 11-46 sunrace cassette on my fatbike. Having that low range is great for those steep nasty climbs, the super long grinds at altitude where there are real mountains, and whel slogging through deep snow where you have to pedal going downhill.

The rest of the time, it means I can ride with my chain in a straighter chainline and have less wear to the drivetrain.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »
How does an oval chainring change things?

Iím new to bike gear.   It took awhile to sort through cranks, BB, chainrings, cogs, gear inches, ratios, tire size etc., partly because I started with an article that gave wrong information and partly because Iím a gearhead.  Looking at what other folks are using, and comparing my last bike, I feel good about going to a smaller chainring. 

Jeff, on what bike are you using the 22/36?

Thanks
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »
How does an oval chainring change things?

Iím new to bike gear.   It took awhile to sort through cranks, BB, chainrings, cogs, gear inches, ratios, tire size etc., partly because I started with an article that gave wrong information and partly because Iím a gearhead.  Looking at what other folks are using, and comparing my last bike, I feel good about going to a smaller chainring. 

Jeff, on what bike are you using the 22/36?

Thanks

I have a 22/36 with an 11/36 cassette on both my Farley fat bike and my Fuel EX 27.5 plus big travel bike. I like this combo to give me the range for almost anywhere.

I run a 1x11 on my Top Fuel race bike 10/42 with a 34 tooth oval ring (Absolute Black) I would only use an oval ring on a 1x setup.  It is a small incremental difference over a round ring. The place that I notice a difference is when I am doing high effort steep climbs, I do find it easier to get over the top of my pedal stroke with the oval ring.

I run a 26/39 with an 11-32 cassette on my Superfly hardtail/gravel bike. I mostly use this for Death March/Gravel Grovel type of rides where this is a mix of road and trail out in HNF
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Tomasz Golas

• Joanna & Tomek
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Absolutely black oval chain rings are like disease. Jeff rode my bike for 2 minutes and and look what he use now :)
Joanna & Tomek

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
I run ovals on all my bikes but my fat bike and love them

Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »
Absolute Black chain rings are great.  Might also look at E Thirteen cassettes.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
I am running the Sunrace 11-40 cassette with a Shimano XT 10speed shadow clutch derailleur.  I also added  the extend length B screw and it works like a champ.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links