//Trail Status mouse over Java // Tell me about the gravel grovel

Author Topic: Tell me about the gravel grovel  (Read 1851 times)

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Tell me about the gravel grovel
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:09:37 PM »
I am going try to make the GG this year if it is not raining. I saw the map and recommended gear. What else do I need to know?

The elavation map makes it look trecherous. Is it as aggressive as it looks ?

What is the average time for the 20 and the 60 mile courses.

Any help is appreciated

Shelby

4mula1

• View Profile
Re: Tell me about the gravel grovel
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
It's fun.  It's hard.  It's a mix of a little bit of everything; gravel roads, some pavement, unimproved roads, and some singletrack.

A good video from the 2014 race to give you a pretty good feel for what's out there.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
I am going try to make the GG this year if it is not raining. I saw the map and recommended gear. What else do I need to know?

The elavation map makes it look trecherous. Is it as aggressive as it looks ?

What is the average time for the 20 and the 60 mile courses.

Any help is appreciated

Shelby

There are basically 8 big climbs. 1 paved, 1 singletrack, 2 doubletrack and 4 gravel.  They are tough climbs.  I don't know times on 20 mile route. Times for the 60 miler ranged from 3.5 to 7.5 hours. None of the off road sections are super techy. The last 10 miles from the top of the Tower Ridge climb are mostly flat to downhill, so once you are get to that point, you can survive to the end.

The first half of the race is more "mountain bikey"  the second half is more gravel roads. Don't overcook yourself early because you are on the trails and you feel faster than the roadies (I know from experience)
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »
It's fun.  It's hard.  It's a mix of a little bit of everything; gravel roads, some pavement, unimproved roads, and some singletrack.

A good video from the 2014 race to give you a pretty good feel for what's out there.

Thank you, the video is worth 1000 words. It was a cool video too!

It didn't look like a lot of people were carrying much.

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »
Thank you Fett, that helps a lot

What do you guys carry for food?

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
Thank you, the video is worth 1000 words. It was a cool video too!

It didn't look like a lot of people were carrying much.
I don't know if it still holds true for DINO,  but when it was a Sub 9 race there were two aid stations; the first at the start of the Nebo Ridge trail and the second at the top of the Mt. Baldy climb.

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 10:45:35 PM »
I don't know if it still holds true for DINO,  but when it was a Sub 9 race there were two aid stations; the first at the start of the Nebo Ridge trail and the second at the top of the Mt. Baldy climb.

Those two were there last year, as well as one at the 50-mile mark (I believe... I went waaaaayyyyy off-course and spent the last 30 miles trying to find my way back to the Midwest Trail start/finish line, which I eventually did, but missed the 50-mile sag).
Fat Bikes Matter!

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
We're planning four aid stations:
Approx mile:
10 - Maumee bridge
22 - Nebo Ridge trail head
30 - Top of "Mt Baldy climb"
48 - end of Trail 20

The goal is to have mechanical support and liquids / energy food at each.
However, we've had a very hard time getting bike shop support (busy retail weekend). Thank you to Revolution Bike & Bean for supporting both aid #1 and #4!
If anyone with basic mechanical skill is willing to help out, PLEASE let us know, we would love to have your help at # 2 or #3. Otherwise we'll send DINO staff with liquids and snacks.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »
Thank you Fett, that helps a lot

What do you guys carry for food?

I am going to carry a small Camelbak (70oz) this year. I will carry a Hammergel flask and 2 power bars. I preopen the bars, so I do not have to mess with it when riding.  You do not ever want to stop, so anything you can do to eat on the fly is good.  Remember that every minute you are stopped at 15mph is a quarter mile your competition is putting on you.

If you are using water bottles, I have been able to use 3 bottles to get through the race.  I carried 2 and stashed one where you pop out of the Nebo Ridge Trail on Berry Ridge Rd.  Makes sure you finish the first bottle before the end of Nebo.

Nutrition and hydration are so important in an endurance race.  Once you get behind on nutrition, you cannot make it back up in the race and power leaves the legs.   Eat early and often.

That is a great video. I am getting passed at 5:06 in the video. I never caught back up to the guy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:20:55 PM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
If I remember correctly I think I did the 2014 race on 2 bottles of my preferred drink mix and 4 gels.  I stopped at the Mt Baldy aid station mostly to clean all of the mud off of my prescription glasses.  I might've refilled one of my bottles with a baggie of more drink mix, I can't really remember.  It was so nice to be able to see again, especially on the downhill after Mt Baldy!

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »
Thank you, to everyone hat replied.

I'm looking forward to it.

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 07:25:14 AM »
I hope everybody had fun yesterday.  I know I did!

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
It was a blast. My 1x9 Mnt bike was not a good fit. I made it work. I might have  won an unofficial hiking award. The last two gravel climbs killed me.

I honestly could have gone farther and I had minimal soreness after. I know I could have done better. I just didn't known what was next

8-10 guys were very helpful and happy. The fellowship was great. The Dino crowd still proves to be helpful and competitive.

trbsami

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
This was my first Grovel and I had a great time. Riders near me were very friendly. I rode a mixed up bike- Niner Air 9 frame, 1x10, drop bar, 40mm tires. Worked pretty well. Flatted around mile 40:-(. Gotta try again to get those tires to mount up tubeless!  My guess at food was pretty close, although I did bum a Waffle from a fellow rider near the end.  Carried about 82 Oz water and almost drank all of it. The real trick was finding a flat section of road to eat snacks- being a flatlander from north of Indy,  I don`t have may hills to work with up here. Thanks to Dino for putting on a good ride for all levels of riders.
Niner Air 9/ 1x10/ Midge drop bar/ 700Cx40
2015 Trek Stache 9.  29x3.0!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links