//Trail Status mouse over Java // GPS position sharing apps on rides

Author Topic: GPS position sharing apps on rides  (Read 1142 times)

bikapelli1

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
GPS position sharing apps on rides
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
All, 

This is more of a general bike riding question than specific to mountain biking.  What apps for phones are out there that allow to share your position in real time (or close to it).  I do a lot of solo road riding, along with the occasional early AM solo mtb ride at BCSP.  It would be nice if there was a way for my partner to see where I am at, if I am still rolling or not, or if I have finished.  (Last week, I sent her a text after finishing a GG preride, but didn't realize for a half hour that it never went out.)  What apps do people use?  I am looking for something that is stand alone and hopefully won't completely drain the phone battery.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G Wells

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: GPS position sharing apps on rides
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
I've never used it but Road ID is supposed to have an app that works like that.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »
Cell reception is spotty enough at bcsp that i would not rely on anything that requires a cellular data connection to send location updates.

There are many phone apps that have this functionality, but they work best in areas with reliable cell connection.

Do yourself a favor and get a spot for this.

LazyBeerNutz

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:01:30 AM »
I will agree with mtbikernate.  Get a spot tracker.  There's a reason the folks doing Tour Divide, etc all carry them. 

If the cost for one of those isn't your thing...apple products have the "share my location" feature, you can always use that.  It will kill your battery though.

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:32 AM »
I think Strava recently released real time position sharing feature for exactly this purpose.  You'll need a paid Strava account and cell service.

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
More thoughts on Strava...  Even with spotty cell service, your position should update every time you crest a hill.  Your partner should still be able to tell if you go down for an extended period time and would have your last position.  Also, you could try it free for 30 days to see if it works.

Garrett4800

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:40:45 PM »
Map my ride

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 11:05:25 PM »
I've never used it but Road ID is supposed to have an app that works like that.

I use Road ID and Strava and run both at the same time.  Yes, it will drain your battery faster but I've done 4+-hour rides with juice still left when finished.  As Nate said, reception can be spotty, but with the link Road ID texts out to up to 5 others (FREE, btw) the reception isn't as much of an issue unless you lose it for a long period of time.  I haven't experienced that, and I've ridden all of BCSP, Nebo/Hickory Ridge/HNF, etc.  I don't know anything about spot tracker or what they cost, but Road ID & Strava are free...and if it's free, it's for me!   :)   I know you get what you pay for, and both have issues at times, but nothing so significant that I've discontinued using either after 4+ years (Strava) and almost 2 years of using Road ID.
Fat Bikes Matter!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 12:26:59 AM »
The cell reception issue depends heavily on your carrier, too

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
The cell reception issue depends heavily on your carrier, too

Mine is Verizon...can you hear me now?!?!   ;)
Fat Bikes Matter!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »

Mine is Verizon...can you hear me now?!?!   ;)
Yeah, and that is why. From what I understand Verizon handles bc the best. Other carriers are even worse down there and may not even get anything on the ridges for a data connection.

chez whitey

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Glympse is a great Android app.  I use it when I ride my motorcycle, mountain bike, or kayak so my wife knows everything's OK.  You have the ability to control both who can see you and for how long.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links