//Trail Status mouse over Java // Shimano Shadow Plus XT Rear derailleur lubrication ?

Author Topic: Shimano Shadow Plus XT Rear derailleur lubrication ?  (Read 223 times)

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Shimano Shadow Plus XT Rear derailleur lubrication ?
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »
There is a rubber plug covering a port on the bottom of the clutch compartment.   Does anyone know if this is for lubricant and if so what type and how often?
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Dan Greenhalgh

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Shimano Shadow Plus XT Rear derailleur lubrication ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
Are you sure what you think is a rubber plug isn't actually one of the screws that secures the clutch housing to the body of the derailleur?  From my experience with the RD-M786 10sp, medium cage shadow plus derailleur, their is no way to lubricate the internals of the clutch assembly from outside the derailleur. Instead, you must remove the screws (three screws on my model) in order to remove the cover from the housing to expose the clutch assembly and the lever assembly.  In addition, there is a specific lubricant that you must use and you can only apply it to the the surface of the clutch assembly directly beneath the spring. Applying it elsewhere can seriously degrade the function of the clutch (and this is from experience).  If you're having clutch problems, and you have a 2-way torque wrench (one that measures torque in both CW and CCW directions), you can check the torque of the clutch to make sure its still in spec.  Alternatively, you might be better off just ordering a whole new clutch assembly, which will come pre-lubricated.  This latter method is what I ended up doing.  I ordered it from Universal Cycles for $18.99.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links