//Trail Status mouse over Java // Undoing chain Connectors?

Author Topic: Undoing chain Connectors?  (Read 461 times)

tomc

• View Profile
Undoing chain Connectors?
« on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
I stopped and tried to help a guy with his chain during the Epic. He had connected a new quick connect link after breaking the chain but he routed it wrong so he needed to undo it to route it correctly. I've been there done that. I looked at it and was like no problem.

I run 9 speed and have used both SRAM and KMC connectors and never really have a problem getting them off. Some are a bit snug but I just squeeze the middle and push both together and it will come off eventually. This was a 10 speed connector (the only one he had) and it would not budge! Pressing as hard as I can, getting better leverage, ... nothing. I tried a ziptie to get more force around the links to push it off and could not do it. After about 20 minutes there was nothing else I could think to do. I couldn't give him one of mine cuz don't think it would match a 10 speed chain. No one was able to offer a pair of pliers or any tool to get enough pressure on the link to get it off. Thankfully he wasn't too far from the Crooked Creek SAG and hopefully he got help there. But I'm normally able to offer a solution and it kinda sucked not being able to help.

What could have been a good solution to get that thing off?   

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Undoing chain Connectors?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »
I think the SRAM links for 10+ speeds are one time use only now.

ryannah

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
I've also tried them and I was unable to reuse. After a bit of research,  the consensus online was that the ones for 10 speeds + are single use only.
1999 Gary Fisher Procaliber

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
After having a similar problem myself, I carry around tools to aid in opening the quick links. They aren't single use, you just can't remove them by hand. PITA for sure.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »
I use KMC 10 speed links which are still intended for re-use.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »
From experience, I would say that even if the link is specified to be reusable, there is a practical number of time that it can be used.    After 3 or 4 uses, the chances of it failing under load go up greatly.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links