//Trail Status mouse over Java // New Yellowwood Trails

Author Topic: New Yellowwood Trails  (Read 1174 times)

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
New Yellowwood Trails
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
So last night, we did a ride from Crooked Creek Lake up to Trail D and then rode the new trails cut by the Mule Team recently. It was amazing to have a 2 mile long downhill and great backcountry trails.

We rode all the way down to Blue Creek Road and then rode the Old Elkinsville Rd back to the Crooked Creek Boat ramp. It is finally dry enough to ride that road all the way through, including the underwater road. It is some of the most beautiful riding in Indiana. I hope you all can make the Epic to see what has been done out there.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

pigfarm

• View Profile
Re: New Yellowwood Trails
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:38:10 PM »
Fett,
Has the Old Elkinsville Rd been mowed this summer?  I know its been wet and the parts I could see from a kayak looked pretty grown over a few weeks ago.
R

MikeHufhand

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »
Fett,
Has the Old Elkinsville Rd been mowed this summer?  I know its been wet and the parts I could see from a kayak looked pretty grown over a few weeks ago.
R
I rode it a couple weeks ago and it was decent. Had a few grassy weedy spots and wet areas, but no big deal, it's a fireroad. Could it be better, sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
Carl Miller and I tried to ride the road a few weeks ago and the boat ramp area was under water.  Do not know the depth of the water, but even in drought time water is up to the edge of the road to Story.
It is a beautiful ride. 

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
One last spot on Crooked Creek that needed some dialing in.  The log was just a bit too big to hope, but I wanted to keep in in play.  So I added some rocks.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
Rode from the ranger station down to the new D trail then the hunters turn around.  Great trail.  I would like the see the old road from the hunters turn around to the old Elksville Road turned into a loop to hook up with the Crooked Creek trail.  It is a old car road so it just needs ridden.

People should explore more then just riding BCSP all the time.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
Rode from the ranger station down to the new D trail then the hunters turn around.  Great trail.  I would like the see the old road from the hunters turn around to the old Elksville Road turned into a loop to hook up with the Crooked Creek trail.  It is a old car road so it just needs ridden.

People should explore more then just riding BCSP all the time.

Kirk, I believe that is part of the Epic Route.  I rode that last Thursday and it is a great loop.  The biggest issue with it is that the Old Elkinsville Rd is underwater much of the year, but is good right now.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
That will be a topic of discussion with the DNR this winter.

It may be tough to officially open it as trail since it floods so often. But since its on the books as a county road, they may not be able to tell you can't ride it.

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »
That will be a topic of discussion with the DNR this winter.

It may be tough to officially open it as trail since it floods so often. But since its on the books as a county road, they may not be able to tell you can't ride it.

Does the DNR control the water to some extent with the Lake Monroe backwaters?  I ask because it seems odd that the "road" that crosses the tailwater and gets you over to the dam area (heading west) is underwater almost the whole year but then "magically" is crossable during the time of the Epic.  It seems like there is more at play than simply rainfall...just curious!
Fat Bikes Matter!

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »

Does the DNR control the water to some extent with the Lake Monroe backwaters?  I ask because it seems odd that the "road" that crosses the tailwater and gets you over to the dam area (heading west) is underwater almost the whole year but then "magically" is crossable during the time of the Epic.  It seems like there is more at play than simply rainfall...just curious!

I'm probably wrong, that's what my wife always tells me, but I believe they do lower the lake every year heading into hunting season.  I've been told by locals that the road is exposed each year so that handicap hunters can drive back there for a place to hunt.  I've ridden that area off and on for 10+ years and we usually make it our fall ritual to ride the "flooded road" and head over the Nebo and back.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:20:42 PM by Otter »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
I suspect that is correct.  The DNR does regrade the old road bed each year for handicap hunter access. Unless there are abnormal rain amounts, the water level is controllable by the Army Corp.  And both last year and this year, timing of the water level dropping below the road has been perfect for opening of deer season (bow) and the epic. 

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
...we did a ride from Crooked Creek Lake up to Trail D and then rode the new trails cut by the Mule Team recently. It was amazing to have a 2 mile long downhill and great backcountry trails.

We rode all the way down to Blue Creek Road and then rode the Old Elkinsville Rd back to the Crooked Creek Boat ramp. ...

Where/how do you pick up Old Elkinsville Rd. when Trail D hits Blue Creek Rd.? 

And when you said 'Crooked Creek Boat ramp' did you mean on Lake Monroe?  And then you can take Crooked Creek Rd. back to either the Lower Handicap Hunter Parking Area/Miller Ridge, or all the way back to Crooked Creek Lake? 

Thanks!
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: https://www.billcbrown.com/pages/MarkAdams and www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »
If you turn right at the Nebo y and follow the road all the way to the end there is a turn around.  This is where the D trail comes down from BCSP and Yellowood.  If you turn to your left you my be able to see a old road.  This road goes back to the Old Elkinsville Road.  Another way is to park at Nebo, take the road over the hill, turn left at the bottom, then right at the fork in the road.   You will come to a closed bridge, cross this bridge and you are now on Old Elkinsville Road at road if Lake is low back to Crooked Creek or there use to be an old bulldozer there, but turn right and it will take you to trail D.

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »

DNR doesn't have anything to do with Lake Monroe water levels.  It's controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.  The normal pool elevation for the lake is 538' above sea level.  Since the lake was built first and foremost for flood control, the water level rises at times when they want to hold back water to control flooding downstream.  Then they steadily release water to get the level back to normal pool elevation. 

I would be surprised if hunter access or any other recreational pursuit plays a role in when they raise or lower the water level.

At normal pool elevation the gravel causeway on Old Elkinsville Road (or Old Bloomington Road, depending on which way you're travelling!) is under about a foot of water.  It often gets shallower in the fall because we normally get less rainfall this time of year and the lake level drops slightly as a result.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:53:21 PM by Allen Edwards »

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links