//Trail Status mouse over Java // The Crooked Creek Trail may be to hard for you!

Author Topic: The Crooked Creek Trail may be to hard for you!  (Read 1105 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
The Crooked Creek Trail may be to hard for you!
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
We are working hard to provide a wide range of trail experiences in the Brown County Area.  By varying trails from beginner to extremely difficult and building different types of flow we are able to build a lot of trails that each provide a unique experience 

Crooked Creek is a difficult trail and its flow can best be described as chunky.  Some have described the trail as having an old school feel.

This is a type of trail that everyone will not like.  Even experienced riders will likely have to get off the bike a few times the first time they try to figure out some of the technical sections.

The trail contains rock features and lots of log overs. 

If you avoid Walnut in Brown County State Park because it is too technical, you will likely want to avoid Crooked Creek.

But if you like Walnut, you will likely really like Crooked Creek.  For those who want a less technical trail, please check out Trail D in Hoosier National Forest. It provides a fun intermediate level trail experience, with a much more open flow than Crooked Creek.

This trail has lots of log overs.  Larger ones have been notched out.

There are no shortage of technical rock sections.

If you up for it, it is a beautiful trail that will take you deep into Yellowwood State Forest!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:55:21 PM by Steve King »
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

twincamRob

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: The Crooked Creek Trail may be tool hard for you!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
Is this on the north or south side of the damn/sag?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: The Crooked Creek Trail may be tool hard for you!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »
Is this on the north or south side of the damn/sag?
Most is north currently, but some is south. It will eventually comprise a full loop of singletrack around the dam.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: The Crooked Creek Trail may be to hard for you!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:35:51 PM »
I had the opportunity to ride Crooked Creek yesterday as part of our Epic route and I have to say it was absolutely awesome!  I love it!  Huge kudos to everyone who had a hand in designing and building this trail!  Thank you!

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »
Post title seems to have " stop sanitizing the trail"  undertones .   ;)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
Post title seems to have " stop sanitizing the trail"  undertones .   ;)

Actually the opposite.  While there are some riders who get up set when ever an easy trail is built, there are also riders who get upset when ever a trail is built that is too hard for them.

Those who are upset about easy trails are more likely to post rants on line.  So on line forums tend to portray that the majority of mountain bikers are upset about easier trails. 

We are trying to build a wide range of trail types and difficulties.  The more well rounded you are as a rider, the more trails you will enjoy riding.  Less well rounded riders will likely not like some of the trails we build. 

I just don't want riders to go into a trail without understanding what they are getting into. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links