//Trail Status mouse over Java // Water sources in Hoosier National for bike-packing,.. Maumee/Nebo area

Author Topic: Water sources in Hoosier National for bike-packing,.. Maumee/Nebo area  (Read 918 times)

tomc

• View Profile
I'm starting to sketch out a few routes to give this bikepacking thing a try. Just a short trip to start as I'm completely new to it but have backpacked many times. The one thing I'm not certain about is water availability. How feasible is it to rely on water sources in the forest along the route? Right now I'm looking at centering around Nebo although I may venture into Hickory Ridge trails. I'm hoping if I stay low, maybe near Maumee or other low-lying area there will be streams to access water but I'm really unfamiliar with how reliable it is.

Can anyone comment on the water sources in the area? My other option, I suppose, is to cache some but I'd rather not. My map looks like there should be ample sources but thought I'd ask those that frequent the area.   

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
I rode all over the Nebo area before Hoosier National started the "bikes on approved trails only" policy in the late '90s.  Other than temporary run-off, I don't recall seeing any water sources except Salt Creek and a few nasty ponds.

schoolie

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
If you go into the hickory ridge area, there are several small to medium ponds you should be able to filter out of.

Hickory Grove Pond, Townsend Pond, and Grouse Hollow Lake are all on the North end of the hickory ridge trail system, in the vicinity of the old Hickory Grove church.

When we were out in January this year, there was plenty of water flowing in the creek crossing on Combs Rd just north of the gate, not sure how seasonal that is though.

tomc

• View Profile
Thanks for that. I actually know where one of those ponds is but I didn't even think about it(duh), .. I was just thinking about stream sources. That  might just have to do. I remember a few years ago at Death March riding down, I believe, it was some area on Combs and there was a lot of water as we had to ride through it in some parts. But, yeah, maybe it's just runoff that isn't all that consistent.

I'm not really sure how much water I need but I don't want to run out. I could probably carry like 4 liters or so but, good god, I have no idea at this point how hard it's going to be to pedal my bike with everything and water weight adds a lot! Lot of questions. Gotta start somewhere though.  Thanks

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
That creek along combs flows most of the year. Salt creek is prob most reliable. Though I would not be opposed to drawing from one of those wildlife watering holes if I had a good filter, either.

I have filtered from salt creek along blue creek rd, and it is fine.

I have also hauled up to 6L of water in 2 3L bladders at once, too. It works.

You can also utilize water caches like hikers on the knobstone trail use. Just stash jugs of water at trail/road crossings before your trip.

tomc

• View Profile
Re: Water sources in Hoosier National for bike-packing,.. Maumee/Nebo area
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
I may do a write up at some point but I did do an overnight in that area. And the water was plentiful! Ponds up on Hickory Ridge, creeks, Salt creek (I assume this was Salt creek underneath the bridge at Maumee). Combs was flowing in many places. Hot as hell but lots of water thankfully. Thanks for the replies. 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links