//Trail Status mouse over Java // How do you prep for a race?

Author Topic: How do you prep for a race?  (Read 3647 times)

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
How do you prep for a race?
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
Hello, I am new racing. I have just a few Dino races under my belt. I really enjoy the "tell me about...." Threads on here. They are a big help prior to the race.

I am in decent shape, I workout, but I have trouble on race day. I seem to gas out easily ( I can run a mile in <8:00 and 3 miles < 30 min) I ride maybe twice a week for about 10 miles.

My question what do you do the week before a race?

Thank you, in advance

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: How do you prep for a race?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
i was eating vegan cookie dough and watching motocross on tv at 11pm the night before muscatatuck. thought for sure it was a rainout. then i read rain or shine and went straight to bed. ooops.
instagram: @joshlion843

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
I generally ride pretty much like I normally do the week before a race except I'll trade one weekday ride for a sensible ride the day before the race to stretch out my legs/scout the course.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »
A friend of mine gave me some great advice a long time ago; if you want to be fast on a mountain bike (including cardio, muscle strength, etc.), find group road rides that kick your tail.

A lot of mountain bikers have little to no interest in riding a road bike. I get that. Nothing wrong with not wanting to do it.

I do group road rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Tuesdays I am up front pulling the whole time and try to beat everyone up the climbs.  On my Thursday rides, I'm not as strong the top riders in that group so I tuck in and draft a fair amount so that I don't get dropped.  I've learned to really enjoy those rides. And the benefits are huge.

This is just one "arrow" you could put in your quiver, so to speak.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
It boils down to making your training rides harder than your races.  Do hard effort rides that are longer in length than what you race.  As said above, nothing does this better than going out with people who are faster than you. Learn to suffer. There is a switch in your head that will flip at some point when you mentally come to grips that your body will do what the mind tells it, it just hurts more.

Also, for a shorter race (less than 2 hours), it is important that you have your legs good and warmed up before you hit max effort at the start.  It is hard to recover from shocked legs in a shorter race.

Whenever trails are red, I do get out and find the local hammerhead roadie group ride and they do put the hurt to me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:05:45 AM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
Training suggestions above are good, especially the riding with people faster than you. Not only will you have to push yourself to keep up, but you can also watch the cornering technique and lines the faster riders are using when you are on the trail.

As for the week before...I usually ride/run the same amount I normally do, but will take it really easy the day before the race. I drink more water in the few days leading up to the event, and try to cut back to one package of Blueberry Oreos.

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »
Thank you, guys. I appreciate it.

This forum and the Dino series never cease to amaze me. Everyone is very helpful.

Shelby

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:42:41 AM »
Ignore all those on here saying you should hammer with the roadies. Forget it. Follow this advice and next thing you know you will shaving all of your glorious body hair, running over hapless hikers walking their dogs in an effort to gain elusive Strava bragging rights, and weighing your gluten-free organic cereal. Be a real mountain biker; eat a huge steak the night before a race and wash it down with the craft beer of your choice and then stay up too late watching mtb videos on YouTube in your underwear while looking at bikes you can't afford in a second tab. Or better yet, don't race at all and just enjoy riding the snot out of your bike without the pressure of trying to best other strangers you don't know so you can (maybe one day) stand on a spray painted wooden podium that looks like it was purchased from some summer sports camp like the ones parents send their kids to so they can have a week of peace and quiet.

I hope this helps with your race preparation. Good luck to you!  :o
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
Ignore all those on here saying you should hammer with the roadies. Forget it. Follow this advice and next thing you know you will shaving all of your glorious body hair, running over hapless hikers walking their dogs in an effort to gain elusive Strava bragging rights, and weighing your gluten-free organic cereal. Be a real mountain biker; eat a huge steak the night before a race and wash it down with the craft beer of your choice and then stay up too late watching mtb videos on YouTube in your underwear while looking at bikes you can't afford in a second tab. Or better yet, don't race at all and just enjoy riding the snot out of your bike without the pressure of trying to best other strangers you don't know so you can (maybe one day) stand on a spray painted wooden podium that looks like it was purchased from some summer sports camp like the ones parents send their kids to so they can have a week of peace and quiet.

I hope this helps with your race preparation. Good luck to you!  :o

Well...that was constructive.

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
Made me laugh :)

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 08:41:44 AM »
Made me laugh :)

Yeah, it was good for a chuckle. The staying up late and watching mountain bike videos on Youtube is spot on!

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 09:06:26 PM »
Lol,

I just returned from the Walmarts. I picked up a full suspension bike and a Pokemon helmet. I had a few dollars left over so I bought a "no fear" mesh tank top and a slim Jim. When I get my smart tv out of lay away, I can watch the tubes all day you were telling me about.

Sh3lby

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »
I took his post to mean that you can spend all of your time worrying and wishing and all of your money buying the latest stuff. But no of that matters if your not having fun.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
I took his post to mean that you can spend all of your time worrying and wishing and all of your money buying the latest stuff. But no of that matters if your not having fun.

^^^ Yeah, that's more what I was going for. Relax. Sorry I dissed your box.
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »
dang... some sensitive people in here. 

I don't race because I am anti-social.  lol

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar