//Trail Status mouse over Java // wheels

Author Topic: wheels  (Read 4014 times)

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
wheels
« on: May 31, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
looked briefly at some of the stans no tubes stuff. there are so many different models. i dont know what to look for. i do 99% of my riding in indiana. racing as many dino races as i can with a baby on the way. im not very gnarly yet. riding a 2016 giant xtc advanced 27.5 3 with stock giant s xc-2 wheels. would one of the $6-700 stans wheelsets and going tubeless be worth the money and would i be sacrificing durability? or should i keep what i have? really cant imagine spending more than that but not sure where my wheels stack up compared to aftermarket wheels.
instagram: @joshlion843

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:39 PM »
and while im on the topic of wheels can someone explain to me what the deal is with these bikes with super loud hubs?

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 07:32:19 AM »
There is a good chance you can convert your existing wheels and tires to tubeless.  If the rims and tires are tubeless compatible or tubeless ready, just add rim tape to seal the spoke holes, tubeless valve stems, and Stans fluid.  If either of them are not tubeless compatible/ready, you will need the full Stans conversion kit (tape, rubber rim strips, and fluid).  Look your wheels/tires up on Stans website to see what they recommend.

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »
i see a lot of negative talk about making the giant s-xc2 wheels tubeless. kind of scary. i think id rather get a new wheelset and go tubeless or leave it alone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=giant+s-xc2+tubeless&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
I've never used Stans wheels so I can't comment there, but the different noises that you hear from hubs are based on their ratcheting mechanism / number of contact point. Typically higher end hubs have better mechanisms in the freewheel that grab stronger and with a shorter rotation of the pedals.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
On the Stans wheels, I would suggest going with the Arch's...unless you're very light weight (under 150lbs.) or don't do a ton of miles.  I'm heavier (190ish) and the Crests were way too flexy for me.  I never could get comfortable on them as every high speed turn I would take I could feel the flex.  If I were in your shoes and budget, I would look at a good set of hubs (Hope, DT Swiss) laced to Archs or possibly look at some of the Light Bike carbon rims  laced up by a local builder.  A good set of well built wheels will be the best upgrade to a bike you can make, IMO.  Good luck!

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:53:04 PM »
I'll second the recommendation of the Arch rims.  I had Arch rims laced to Hope Pro II Evo hubs for about 5 years and just sold them as I went down to only one trail bike.  I'm on my 3rd or 4th set of Hope hubs and I can strongly recommend them.  The Arch rims were simple to tape and fit a tire over as they should be.  I don't know the model but I helped a buddy set his Giant Anthem wheels up tubeless and it was a quite a hassle.  I think he has had a couple times where he has lost a lot of air or flatted while off the bike since the conversion.

Speaking specifically about hub noise, Hope is one of the loudest if you are looking at the 24 point engagement models.  The newer ones have 40 points of engagement and are not as loud and the pitch is higher, towards the buzz of 72 point Kings.  The design internally makes a big difference as well, all my Shimano hubs are all but silent.

Good luck, you have a lot of options within your $600-$700 range.

Chris

Zinjanthropus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
I have Stan's Flow rims but if I get my weight down and need a new set I'll be looking at the Arches. I'm very pleased with the Stans product. I went Hope Pro Ii Evo hubs as well and yes, the noise can make you a target of stares on occasion but they too have been trouble-free. I see it as a reminder to stop coasting and get back to pedaling, even if it's downhill on Aynes.  :P

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »
Hope hubs are so loud.  It makes me sad that I can't hear my kings when I ride with a friend that has hopes.  haha

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:19:13 PM »
the light bicycle carbon rims look like a deal. kind of interested in that. im right at 150 lbs. peak shape close to 140. putting on sympathy weight since my chick is pregnant. are the stans crests not as sturdy? or would i be fine?

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
I've got a set of the Light Bicycle rims and couldn't be happier.  I've had them on my primary bike for 3 years now and they've been trued up 1 time (that probably says more about the builder, but still) and they're still looking very good too.  The stiffness increase has been night and day vs. the Crest and these are actually built up with lighter spokes then my Crests were.  All and all I couldn't be happier.  With all of that said, you are giving up the big brand warranty/support if that matters to you. 

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »
I had Stans Crest and was happy with them.  Then got Light Bicycle wheels with hope hubs all was good until I broke a spoke.  Put the Stans on for a week and was amazed how flimsy it was.  Now 3 years later Still using Light Bicycle hoops with I9 Hubs, best improvement I have made with the bike.

tomc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »
I have some Arches on Sramx7 hubs and they are pretty solid, no problems running tubeless or tubes. Not that great of a hub but really no issues with them. Thought about going with the Crests in the future but I'm about 170ish and ride with hydration backpack so I'm probably too heavy for those. Thought about swapping out hubs for a lighter wheelset. 

But if you were looking for a higher end hub and didn't want all that noise what are some recommendations?? I'd like to know. I did the RAIN a few years ago and rode for far too long with someone who had these obnoxiously LOUD hubs. Every time he stopped pedaling it was like a roar. I don't know, is this a feature that some people like or is it that the engineers can't get rid of the loudness or what??

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 08:54:59 PM »
Properly maintained Kings aren't loud.

JLS

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:49 AM »
When I was doing my build up of my now dinosaur 26" wheeled bike back in 2012, I did not care for the sound of a Hope or King and ended up going with the White Industries MI6. The hub has been great with its durability, ease of maintenance and low noise. My understanding is this hub is now discontinued and replaced by the XMR but have not seen or heard them in person to comment. Might be worth a look.

For the hoops, I went with the Stan's Arch EX and they have been great running tubeless, good durability but wish I had gone with the Flows for the extra width.
HMBA/IMBA member

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links