//Trail Status mouse over Java // Superfly 5 or X-Cal?

Author Topic: Superfly 5 or X-Cal?  (Read 1342 times)

K_W

• View Profile
Superfly 5 or X-Cal?
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
I have decided it is time to move on from my re-starter bike, a Trek Marlin 5 w/ RockShox 30 Silver coil fork, to something better.  Some little things are going bad and today was the second time I have had the bottom bracket come loose during harder riding at Town Run (gave it all I had on everything but skipped the 2 big drops).  I want to trade it in or convert it to a commuter before I actually break something on it or me.

To replace it, I want a $1000 - $1500 27.5" 15.5-16.5" hardtail capable of handling any XC trail Indiana/Michigan has to offer.  I have decided to give an air fork a try since I can always put the 30 Silver on it if I have issues.  I don't yet feel I need full suspension, I'm not that fast or aggressive.  I prefer Trek as we are family friends with one of their local dealers.  I also prefer not to deal with Suntour forks again.

Those criteria lead me to an high end X-Cal or the "low end" Superfly.

I am leaning towards a Superfly5 because of the tapered tube, but am not familiar with press fit BB's

The X-Cal 9 is super nice, but not tapered and nearly as much as the Superfly

The X-Cal 8 is tempting because of price and familiar and simple coil fork, but is lower spec all around.

Any guidance and suggestions are appreciated.

rmc

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Superfly 5 or X-Cal?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
Get the Superfly 5, very fast bike for Indiana.  Race geometry and better spec parts.  X-Cal is an entry level bike as is the Marlin.  The 5 while it has a tapered head tube, it will have a straight steer tube fork with a reducer.  It  allows easy upgrades down the road.  Tubeless compatible wheels etc..

I have a custom built Superfly hardtail, 2016.  I love it

jfleming10

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Superfly 5 or X-Cal?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Not sure if you're set on buying new, but I have a Stache 8 (I'm a Trek fan as well) and really couldn't be happier with it. Perfect for Indiana trails in my opinion, especially if you're not set on a dedicated race geometry. Picked mine up used for just over a grand about a year ago. Quite light, great components, and a nice relatively relaxed geometry. Think they made the Stache 8 from '13-'15 and I see them fairly regularly on pinkbike and ebay.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links