//Trail Status mouse over Java // Earbud Syndrome

Author Topic: Earbud Syndrome  (Read 1336 times)

tomc

• View Profile
Earbud Syndrome
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »
The last three rides of mine at Ft Ben have featured a trail user in front of me that had earbuds in. Apparently the music was loud enough that they would not respond to my normal voice or even my raised voice. Look, I love listening to music when I'm riding. I always wear earbuds although I do the "one in and one out" type of thing most of the time so I can, you know, be aware of my surroundings. In all these instances I tried to make myself known by talking to them at varying distances, even as close as right behind them. No dice. I've even tried to wait for a corner for them to catch a little flash of me coming behind. Not paying attention.

So each time I ended up getting fairly close and just started yelling loud, ... "HEY!!! HEY!!". Finally they jump around and realize someone was behind. They let me pass and I try to tell them I've been trying to talk to them for a good distance. But I'm sure they don't hear what I'm saying. I kinda feel like saying saying, .. "Hey dumb$ss, have a little awareness here". But I don't.  Maybe I'm just more aware being a biker on the trails but I think it is just common courtesy. I don't mind other trail users at all. I'll stop and let hikers pass, talk with people, encourage those little kids riding bikes, thank everyone I pass, etc. The trails are for us all and are used for many different purposes. I know there isn't any solution to this which is why I put it in the "rant" section. So, .. I guess rant over.

I have to believe you guys and girls have encountered this sort of thing. Is there anything you do differently that might help? I figure it's a lost cause and I'll just have to continue yelling to clear the path.     

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Earbud Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:07:25 PM »
I try not to startle trail users, but have had the urge to use a Delta Airzound for those who don't respond to a bell or calling out to them.
Figured staying cool about it is better than making someone wet their pants with a 115db air horn, as fun as that may be.

K_W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 11:59:15 PM »
People with loud music is why my 2012 Corolla is equipped with the 4 horn set from a 1992 Cadillac DeVille.  ;D

If I ran into those people on the trail, and could do something similar on my bike for a reasonable weight, I would.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:55:13 AM »
The times that I do listen to music when I ride, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/1-BUD-Gold-earphone-with-Eartips/dp/B00N34CULM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461588670&sr=8-2&keywords=one+good+ear+bud

It plays both stereo channels in one bud (mono?) and keeps one ear open, so I hear the full music and also am aware of my surroundings. They work well.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

plapham

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »
A friendly rear tire 'rub' works well! Suggest practicing with a friend so it's a rub and not a wreck!
Lap

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
I suspect that most folks with two ear buds in do it only once so being considerate seems like the right thing to do. They just didn't think it through before riding. No big deal. Itís going to happen on a regular basis with the big user group we have at Town Run.

I stay back and call out to the rider and escalate my volume until they hear me. You can't help but scare most of them, so they get a lesson by their own actions. That usually does it.

I have no interest in getting in wreck from riding close and intentionally scaring the hooey out of someone.

mbeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »
I have also had this problem, but with a trail runner instead. 
08 Santa Cruz Superlight
08 Specialized Rock Hopper custom

tomc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »
Yeah, for me it was trail runners twice and a rider once. The rider was on Schoen riding an old school ten speed so I don't know what was going on there. I'm currently wondering how feasible it might be to ride with a tranquilizer gun for those moments. 

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Whenever I have one of them that can't hear, I always point to my ear as I pass them hoping they will get the hint to at least take one out.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
I ride with 2 ear buds when I ride alone, but I ride with the volume low enough that I can definitely hear someone behind me.  I want to be able to hear my bike just in case it is developing an issue.  I also like to make sure that I am riding fast enough to never get passed when I am wearing ear buds.  haha

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
I also like to make sure that I am riding fast enough to never get passed when I am wearing ear buds.  haha

LOL!!
djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links