//Trail Status mouse over Java // Looking for trail recommendations in KY...

Author Topic: Looking for trail recommendations in KY...  (Read 2766 times)

chmaeet

• View Profile
Looking for trail recommendations in KY...
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
Me and a buddy will be heading down to KY in about a month if the weather is good for an extended weekend of riding.  We want to check out the Underground MTB park in Louisville for a half day but after that we are looking for recommendations.  We would like to stay within 1.5-2 hours of Louisville but if need be we can extend our travels.  We plan to bounce around so we don't need to have a base area to drive from each day.  I have looked briefly at Kymba.org and singletracks.com but would like input from riders around here that have traveled south to check the trails out.  I didn't see any big trail systems around Louisville, Lexington, etc.  We have ridden around the Laurel Lake area several years ago on our way to NC.  Looking for intermediate level trails overall but not opposed to technical sections here and there to keep us on our toes.  In the past we have ridden 15-30 miles a day with average elevation (BCSP for example) so if we need to link a couple trails together in the same day we can do that as well.

Looking forward to recommendations!

Thanks,

Chris

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
Re: Looking for trail recommendations in KY...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »
Well Obannon is close and Waverly is like a mini Obannon but right outside of the ville. Cherokee park is nice and I cannot remember the new place they just opened up. Not much in Lexington but in Georgetown is a very fun place called Skullbuster. Nice old school feel and a bit over 10 miles if you ride everything.
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Don't forget the can creek side of laurel lake it's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

plapham

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
Don't forget French Lick!  Obannon for sure!  Check MTB project website ... great stuff out there.
Lap

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the trail recommendations so far and the mtbproject tip.  We might have to check out Obannon again as it has been 3-4 years since we have been there.  Anybody else have a trail to hit in the area, post it up!

Are there fees or permits needed for Waverly and Cherokee Park?

Thanks,

Chris

allmountin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:41:30 AM »
No fee at Cherokee and there is a lot of quality trail. Buff and fast with tech interludes, as I recall. GPS nav recommended, as there are several road crossings and fractured sections.

Fort Duffield is prolly close enough. Maybe a bit more tech than you're looking for?

I always get ticks when I ride KY. FYI.

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
No fees at Waverly either.
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 01:38:49 PM »
No fees at Waverly either.

Sure there are.  They are just buried in the budgets so taxpayers pay them indirectly rather than directly.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »
Now we are looking at the option of pulling a camper down or tent camping. Anyone have a personal recommendation for a park within an hour of Louisville? How similar is Obannon camp area to Brown county SP? I've ridden through it in the past and I remember it being more open. We would be looking to cook over the fire and have showers. Electric would be a bonus if it was a tent only area.
Thanks,
Chris

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
Now we are looking at the option of pulling a camper down or tent camping. Anyone have a personal recommendation for a park within an hour of Louisville? How similar is Obannon camp area to Brown county SP? I've ridden through it in the past and I remember it being more open. We would be looking to cook over the fire and have showers. Electric would be a bonus if it was a tent only area.
Thanks,
Chris
O'Bannon has a number of sites where a tent could be used. Some of the sites along the western-most road (past the entrance to Rocky Ridge) seem pretty nice. I believe all have electricity. Most have a fire ring and the restrooms should all have showers.

Since it sounds like you haven't been down in a while, keep in mind, O'Bannon opened two new trails last season, combining tech and flow. Most riders say they are awesome.

French Lick and Cherokee and Waverly Park in Louisville are about an hour's drive from O'Bannon, give or take, and are worthwhile if you are in the area. The Parklands of Floyds Fork is on the eastern side of Louisville, and has some mountain biking, although I don't know how much. Google it for more information. I got bored real quick at Mega-Caverns, but I'm not a bike park/jumper guy. It is a novelty though.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
You may have done your trip already, but here's a little info.

I live just east of Bloomington, about 15-20 minutes from BCSP, so that's my home base, but I go to northeast L'ville (Prospect) three or so times a month and ride when the weather permits. 

Cherokee is right in town, no fee, and has about 10 miles of trail (according to the maps).  To me the trail(s) feels a bit choppy, some flow mixed with some short techy sections, not the consistency of either long, smooth flow, or technical trail that BCSP has.  There are also a lot of access trails and, when you come to a divide, it is sometimes difficult to figure out which is the main trail and which is just a quarter mile that connects to a road.  Still, worth riding if you are in the area. 

Waverly is on the south side, no fee, and is an easy to intermediate system.  Shorter than Cherokee, but more consistent flow, and little to no technical areas.  There is a nice pond, but I don't know if there is camping. 

O'Bannon is an Indiana state park and so requires a pass or daily fee.  It is about an hour from L'ville,  and is well worth the drive.  The new trails are great, a good combination of flow and tech, that will challenge an experienced rider going at a speed, but are also rideable by intermediate folks going more slowly.  The older trails are very rocky and techy and fun. 

The Parklands is still under development.  I went there last summer and the trails that were open then were very easy.  I haven't been there this year. 

I haven't been to the mega-cavern yet, but, personally, I'd rather be out in the rain and snow, and mud and ice than go indoors.  Though I suppose at some point I should try it just to try it. 

If you want a different type of experience you could try the Go Ape zipline/ropes challenge course in Jefferson Memorial State Forest, which is close to Waverly (south side).  I just did that yesterday and it was a lot of fun. 
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links