//Trail Status mouse over Java // Repair for Tubeless Tires?

Author Topic: Repair for Tubeless Tires?  (Read 777 times)

tomc

• View Profile
Repair for Tubeless Tires?
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:53 PM »
I haven't even been on a trail this year yet but yesterday I ran over a small stick and it punctured my tubeless Geax tire right in the center of the tread. I had to pull the quarter inch or so diameter stick out of the tire before sealant went flying everywhere. I've never had this happen before and usually just receive really small thorns or stuff that seal up with no problem.

Is there any kind of fix to a hole in a tubeless tire like this or am I resigned to just using this tire with a tube from now on? 

Adim_x

• View Profile
Re: Repair for Tubeless Tires?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
You can patch the tire from the inside with a vulcanizing tube patch.  I have also had good luck using super glue. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

RJ

• View Profile
    • Indy's best bike shop!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:29:42 PM »

tomc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
Hey- thanks for the recommendations. I ordered and now have used the tire plugs. I was plenty familiar in using them on car tires so thought I'd give it a try.

After installing one I pumped up a few times but it kept slowly going flat. Realizing that I had probably lost too much sealant I gave the tire a new shot of sealant and everything is holding now. I'm keeping them in my saddle bag for future punctures but I might also need to carry some extra sealant too!
 Thanks again.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links