//Trail Status mouse over Java // Avon Washington Twp park

Author Topic: Avon Washington Twp park  (Read 1060 times)

Revsracing

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Avon Washington Twp park
« on: February 07, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
Is HMBA still responsible for the MTB trails at Avon park? on Park's web site they say HMBA trails built. When you talk to them in Park office they say same thing. They also talk about DINO also and i know they are no long going to park, Goal is to get them to return.
So my main question is: has HMBA abandon the trails since the death on trails or are they still supported?
My son is going to do his Eagle scout project to repair or establish new trails.  And was wondering if we need to start a new group to support trails.  He has talked with the park and putting a proposal together, swimming season has slowed this down.  But spring is around corner.
any info is helpful.

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
Re: Avon Washington Twp park
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »
I can't really answer on HMBA's commitment to Washington Township Park, but I can offer some info based on DINO experiences.

We stopped MTB racing there after a 2011 weather-related cancellation and ongoing difficulties with the management. The good news is management has changed completely since then; they are quite good to work with now. We held a 2015 Trail Run there.

However, there isn't really enough quantity of trails to make a race course without using a lot of pavement, and there are countless cut-throughs, making race marking very hard. Lots of eroded places makes it for a very difficult for a beginner-friendly MTB race.

I think what's needed is a few committed local volunteers working with park management to do some re-design. I don't see it ever having more than a 4-5 mile useable loop of trails due to the size, but we definitely support the local trails which serve to introduce new people to the sport.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Avon Washington Twp park
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »
HMBA experienced the same difficulties with park management that DINO dealt with. These difficulties started prior to the fatality on the trails. 

HMBA counts on volunteers, and the Park management made our volunteers feel unappreciated. Volunteers ether became discouraged or moved on to work at trails were Park management was easier to work with. 

HMBA does not have an MOU with Avon so we are not under any obligation to maintain trails. And we can't force volunteers to work somewhere where park management is difficult to work with. 

If mountain bikers who live in Avon what to see HMBA engaged at Avon, we would be happy to come back.  But it would likely take some political effort to get the Park's Board to be move supportive of mountain biking.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links