//Trail Status mouse over Java // Permit required signage?

Author Topic: Permit required signage?  (Read 3236 times)

K_W

• View Profile
Permit required signage?
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:14:53 AM »
Will the DNR / HMBA be adding any additional or more conspicuous signage to the trails to warn when entering a Permit required section of trail?

For instance, at Fort Ben, the only signage at the fork 1/2 way around Camp Glenn for Lawrence Creek trail was a 3.5 inch wide fiberglass trail marker post that says "LC", a directional arrow, and a blue square that stands for "intermediate".  It would be very easy for someone new to the trail to make a wrong turn at the fork.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:17:57 AM by K_W »

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
Re: Permit required signage?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »
I doubt the parks are going to spend the money for signs.  The whole point, they say, for the passes is to gouge...I mean raise more money for the parks.  Why spend that money on signs?  Why should HMBA spend money on signs for a fee we don't want, at least how it is now?
Besides, who reads signs anyways?  All the person would have to do is say they didn't see it.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
I'm curious about the actual pass.
There's always been a pass you have to have to ride in HNF (outside of a state park). Do you still need that pass if you have the new pass? Or is the new pass only good for in a park? 
JFR!

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:54:06 PM »
I'm curious about the actual pass.
There's always been a pass you have to have to ride in HNF (outside of a state park). Do you still need that pass if you have the new pass? Or is the new pass only good for in a park?

You still need the HNF pass...the new permit is only for state parks (non-beginner trails).
Fat Bikes Matter!

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:53 PM »
Yeah, it's two different passes.
The HNF pass only covers the trails in the Hoosier National Forest (such as Hickory Ridge and Nebo). The new pass covers trails on any Indiana Department of Natural Resources property that has mountain bike trails, including state parks (like Brown County or Versailles) and state forests (such as Yellowwood and Owen-Putnam).

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:24:04 PM »
Man, state park, national forest, state forest??????? This is confusing. So Yellow wood will require the same pass that you need at BCSP (for example)? But not the pass required for Nebo (for example)?
JFR!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
Man, state park, national forest, state forest??????? This is confusing. So Yellow wood will require the same pass that you need at BCSP (for example)? But not the pass required for Nebo (for example)?
Correct. Not too hard to figure out but a lot of people have never bothered to consider the various land management agencies at play. Gets real fun when you also consider Westwood Park and its fee structure, along with private facilities like Gnaw Bone Camp,  French Lick, and Explore Brown County/VBR. They are all different.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »
Nate, on this page:

http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=77047fcea43ab0a12acd1643856f1864;wwwRedirect

are all of the trails that are listed under the header "HMBA Trail Information" on Indiana DNR property?  If so, could that header be changed to read something like 'HMBA Trails / DNR Properties', and have a pinned, locked thread titled 'Permit may be required' to explain the new permit system?  Where does Muscatatuck fall in all this?  Are they HMBA trails?  State owned DNR property?

It would also be helpful if "Trails Under Development" and "Other Great Indiana MTB Trails" had one similar pinned, locked thread that gave a brief explanation of those trails, something very short, along the lines of what you and Allen Edwards just said in your last posts. 

Or maybe just have one new, locked forum / thread that explains it all.  Lots of folks, especially visitors, aren't aware of the various owners, agencies, fees and permits that are involved.  Right now, they would have to research various websites, links and pages to sort it all out.  Re-arranging or adding that information to these forums would be a big help. 

CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »
The forums are not the correct place for that information. Lots of reasons for that, but the main one being that it buries info that should be more accessible through search engines.

The main website is, and the information is there for the trails on the site. The statewide map on the trail guide has links to land manager websites where available. Muscatatuck is covered there. It is a local park, fwiw.

I do not manage the website anymore, nor do I manage or moderate the forums. But a website redesign is underway and fee info will be a little more prominent.

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:49 AM »
I assume a day-pass is available too? I bought my annual yesterday and the dude didn't mention a day option (but I didn't ask either). And for out-of-towners?
I know this has all been brought up, but I can see this as discouraging for newbs. Like "oh, I got a bike, I'm going to go ride it!. Oh, I have to pay to get in? Bummer, but whatever. Oh, I also have to pay to ride? Double bummer. Wait, what happens if I get off the 'beginner' trail? Where IS the beginner trail?..." This sounds like a real hassle for people that don't know what they're doing and don't know what trail is what.     
JFR!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »
I assume a day-pass is available too? I bought my annual yesterday and the dude didn't mention a day option (but I didn't ask either). And for out-of-towners?
I know this has all been brought up, but I can see this as discouraging for newbs. Like "oh, I got a bike, I'm going to go ride it!. Oh, I have to pay to get in? Bummer, but whatever. Oh, I also have to pay to ride? Double bummer. Wait, what happens if I get off the 'beginner' trail? Where IS the beginner trail?..." This sounds like a real hassle for people that don't know what they're doing and don't know what trail is what.     
Yes, you are very correct about the complication of the whole mess. The DNR is going to have fun with it once summer really kicks in.

Yes, day passes are available. You can also check out a pass at your local library.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »
Yes, there are lot's of issues with the execution of the permit.  It is the DNR's responsibility to inform riders of the permit and signage on the trails would be a good idea.  Not sure if they plan to do that or not. 

There are many mountain bike trails on DNR property that HMBA is not involved in.  There are some that I don't know how they rated for difficulty. 

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links