//Trail Status mouse over Java // Winter tires.

Author Topic: Winter tires.  (Read 2286 times)

tomc

• View Profile
Winter tires.
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Are any of you guys running normal size mtb tires (2.2ish) out there right now or are most people running fatbikes and studded tires?

psladinski

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tires.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »
No fat here .  Studdard schwalbes ..call me a sissy but w unpredictable conditions and me being a big fan of TRACTION i probably wouldn't ride without studs!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »
I ride fat year round. I have seen plenty of skinny tracks in the snow recently. Snow totals haven't been enough this year to prevent anyone from getting out.

Traction is a big issue though. Even packed snow is slippery. Whatever size you ride, fast summer tires are the absolute LAST thing you want right now. Studs give the most traction, especially when there is ice (no matter tire width). But any widely spaced aggressive knobby will be better than a fast summer tire. And get the biggest your bike can fit, whatever that is.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
I have 2.3 Nevegals on the front and 2.1s on the back.  I rode on Saturday and traction was pretty darn good with them.  Only place I had an issue was pedaling hard on the uphill bridge on the SC.
Small knobs is NOT what you want in snow.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

SpecialEd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »
Conditions Saturday were excellent with Maxxis 2.3 Highroller II's front and back. I was shocked at how much grip I was getting.
Sent from my old rotary telephone

indyshred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
As little as I ride in winter, Mountain King 2.4's do pretty good up to a couple inches of snow. If more snow, I have to follow the path the fatties laid down.

indyshred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
Ive also ridden with 2.2 Tsalis and 2.2 Bontrager Joneses, just lower the pressure. I'm always amazed how well the traction actually is.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »
With the 27.5 wheels becoming more prevalent. People have been fitting plus sized tires into 29er frames.  A 3" tire in 27.5 size is roughly the same height as a 2" 29er tire. It depends upon you individual frame and fork, but I have been able to put 3" tires in my Superfly 100 with a Fox fork. It clears, but with pretty tight clearances.   I took it out to BCSP on Saturday morning and it was incredible on the packed snowy trails. Not as good as a fat bike in the deeper unpacked snow, but in other conditions it was great.

WTB Trailblazer 2.8 tires are popular for this conversion as are Panaracer Fat B Nimbles.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links