//Trail Status mouse over Java // Clipless or platforms

Author Topic: Clipless or platforms  (Read 3906 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Clipless or platforms
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
I also follow James Wilson.  I take some of his opinions / info and leave some.  It is important to note that not only does he favor flats but standing pedaling on flats.  Standing engages all of the leg muscle groups in a more natural motion and, yes, requires more energy and thus can't be sustained as long.  Standing also gives you better command over the bike but that is for a different conversation.  This works for me because I don't race and when I ride I usually go for a couple of miles then take a short break, go a couple of more miles then take a break and so on.  I just ride for the enjoyment and technical challenge not so much the fitness so I don't care about long sustained efforts.  I ride on some Easton flat boys and a pair of Five Tens and I love them.  Some clearance issues when I first switched but nothing a little pedal awareness doesn't solve. 
Figure out what kind of riding you like to do then determine what kind of equipment fits that. 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »
Ride what you like, man! When I came back to the bike after a long hiatus I made the switch from 'cages' to clipless. Dang near killed myself on every ride for an entire summer. This year, I went to Colorado and rode my butt off and (thank God) didn't have any wrecks, except for one where I actually managed to fall over while standing still--thanks to being clipped, of course. That said, I've grown to really like my clips. I rode flats one time out there, but it was at a ski lift park and to be honest, I felt terrified most of the time--like I was going to bounce off of the pedals the entire time. I'm guessing this is why most Dh riders have switched to clipless. Very secure.

I considered switching to flats about 2 years ago, but wrecked the first time out and shredded my legs and nearly bled out trying to get back to my car, so I went back to clipless. But at the end of the day I ride what I like--and so should you!
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
I know what you mean.  This is my shin after a "meeting" with the flat pedal on my downhill bike.  Surprisingly, it didn't really bleed all that much like I thought it would.
I don't ride that bike in my court without shin guards on.

NSFL - Weak stomachs do not click.  This was before any anesthetic.  Thankfully no pain until they game me a shot to put the stitches in.  23 total. 6 underneath and 17 on top.

THAT. IS. NASTY. Thanks for sharing, though. Cred.
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Oops.  Deleted my own post.  Thought I double posted.
Oh well. Have the copied post.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links