//Trail Status mouse over Java // Dad want's to ride again... Early 1980's Mongoose ATB

Author Topic: Dad want's to ride again... Early 1980's Mongoose ATB  (Read 1748 times)

K_W

• View Profile
Dad want's to ride again... Early 1980's Mongoose ATB
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
Dad want's to try mountain biking with me again.  We used to ride together when I was little, and he still has his bike which he properly stored in working order about 12 years ago.

It's a survivor, a 1984ish Mongoose ATB chrome rigid with original Suntour groupset and Diacompe brakes.  Since he stored it with all moving parts relaxed, it may only need cleaned, rubber parts replaced, and greased.

It will need tires, but what else would possibly be bad?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:19:34 PM by K_W »

Unfit Nitwit

Re: Dad want's to ride again... Early 1980's Mongoose ATB
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:15:19 PM »
May be good to replace the brake pads if that wasn't on the list.
Change the rim strips with the tires and tubes.
Check to see if the seat post is seized.
Look at the derailleur pulley wheels for cracks and broken teeth.
Spoke tension and true the wheels.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:34 PM »
anything plastic if not cracked is probably brittle and ready to crack. tis the season for overhaul specials at shops.

cables and housing are another.

If it was me, I'd completely disassemble the bike and rebuild it. This would let me check whether any parts are seized or brittle or worn or whatever and replace as necessary, clean out all old grease and replace with fresh.

K_W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
Will replace rim strips, brake pads are on the list, don't want him running into my back tire, or careening off a curve.

Crank teeth are intact, brake pulleys look to be metal, seatpost is not seized, but I have not inspected derailleur pulley.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
One other idea, check all the cables and make sure they're not seized inside the housing.  I helped a buddy out once with an old road bike and we ran into that.  We blasted some WD-40 (GASP!) into area where the cable and housing met and let it sit.  Broke things loose and he was good to go.  Good luck and great job getting your Dad back on the trails!

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:46 PM »
If you plan on keeping this bike you might want to stock up on 26" tires since they are going away like the DODO.  I agree strip the bike down and replace/repack everything.  I have a classic bike the I am sending to a museum in SC.   It is a single speed HT with ridge fork and it just beat me up.  This might do the same to your dad and turn him off.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »
Here is what you do.  Put the old bike up as a museum piece.  Find a bike YOU like and get your dad to buy it.  If he ends up not liking MTBing, which I doubt, you can talk him into giving you his bike.  It's a win-win no matter the outcome.  Your dad gets to ride the new bike with the latest tech, which will make for better riding, and if he doesn't stick with it, you get a newish bike.
Just don't tell him where you got the plan.   8)

Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links