//Trail Status mouse over Java // Western NC trails being evaluated as Wilderness

Author Topic: Western NC trails being evaluated as Wilderness  (Read 1677 times)

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Western NC trails being evaluated as Wilderness
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »

Obviously nothing concrete yet, but this has the potential to be absolutely devastating for NC Mountain Biking.
Please have a read and leave comments as mentioned on this page.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/trail-advocacy/hundreds-of-miles-of-the-best-mtb-trails-in-western-north-carolina-are-being-evaluated-as-wilderness/

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: Western NC trails being evaluated as Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
This is extremely important to fight if you guys want to continue riding the awesome Pisgah trails. We've lost a handful of amazing trails out here in Idaho for this very reason. very sad. I still want to visit Pisgah & ride there in the future.

Go to the bottom of this page to send an e-mail (very easy, 1 minute).
https://www.imba.com/alert/usfs-seeks-input-nantahala-and-pisgah-national-forests-potential-wilderness-inventory
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 04:59:06 PM »
This is extremely important to fight if you guys want to continue riding the awesome Pisgah trails. We've lost a handful of amazing trails out here in Idaho for this very reason. very sad. I still want to visit Pisgah & ride there in the future.

Go to the bottom of this page to send an e-mail (very easy, 1 minute).
https://www.imba.com/alert/usfs-seeks-input-nantahala-and-pisgah-national-forests-potential-wilderness-inventory

I sent an email out earlier today.

This has the potential to be a serious loss of mountain biking trails in North Carolina, on trails many of us have come to know and love!!! Read though the list of areas or trails that are being threatened!!!

Don't sit back and wait for others to speak out. If you wait too long, it could be too late.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
Just sent email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
BIKE magazine just ran a feature article on this issue--read it this week!

According to the article, they ('conservationists' and whatever that mean; as if 'biker' and 'conservationist' must be mutually exclusive terms) have underestimated the MTB community and when we show up/speak up, it matters as bikers are finally getting a seat at the table. There's a lot of bad information out there that the legislators are buying into, such as bikes are bad for the landscape, bikers cause trail damage, etc., when in fact, it's been proven in peer reviewed studies that our impact is no greater than hikers and definitely less than that which equestrians cause, who are rarely, if ever banned.

We all need to be on watch for this and support wherever we can in addition to educating those new to biking how to increase the reputation of mountain biking by following trail etiquette, joining HMBA and all that...
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:37:20 PM »

I sent an email out earlier today.

This has the potential to be a serious loss of mountain biking trails in North Carolina, on trails many of us have come to know and love!!! Read though the list of areas or trails that are being threatened!!!

Don't sit back and wait for others to speak out. If you wait too long, it could be too late.
Exactly. If all those trails were off limits to bikes??? The local shops might as well close the doors, because there will be nothing to ride in that area.

Hikers and horse riders are more than happy to have us banned from trails. It's unfortunate.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links