//Trail Status mouse over Java // New mtb fee

Author Topic: New mtb fee  (Read 15728 times)

SSIndyRider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: New mtb fee
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

$5 for a Daily pass.  And I'm pretty sure they are needed for the race, couldn't find the thread but thought I read that somewhere.  $20/yr  or $5/day

$7 park entry fee too. Add them together.

SSIndyRider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »
I understand the logic here.  But also think the reverse if you wanted to get a buy one get one by cheating saying you lost your card on your ride is the perfect time to do it.  I'd grab a saddle bag for like $10-15 and throw the card in there to ensure it doesn't get lost.  I keep mine in my hydration pack.

I'm suggesting they consider other means to prevent fraud. Put your photo on it, register a name with it and then require proof of ID for replacement, allow a 'virtual pass' on my phone.

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2016, 04:58:13 PM »

I'm suggesting they consider other means to prevent fraud. Put your photo on it, register a name with it and then require proof of ID for replacement, allow a 'virtual pass' on my phone.

Development on all of those methods is probably a higher cost than they'll bring in revenue for the year of the pass itself.  hah.  That policy is nothing new, though.  It has always been the case for the annual park pass.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
So, dumb question here, how much will it cost to enter Sunday for the DINO race?  Sounds like way more than the $7 for a one time ride?  I don't make it down enough right now with little ones for a year pass so is there an extra daily fee?

The parks are have some throw back pricing this weekend, gate entrance is ten cents.

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA Member and enjoying the ride of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2016, 06:29:58 AM »
State Fishing license can be done online, and saved as a PDF in case you misplace it or what not.....they could do this and help considerably. It is tracked by your social security number, so you cannot cheat the system.
HoosierBiker

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
To clarify for the DINO race on Sunday...
Park entry is only ten cents per day for the weekend!
Each rider is supposed to have a day permit for riding ($5) or an annual riding pass ($20). DINO does not intend to check each rider's permit. That is up to the rider and DNR.
No reason to let costs be an issue, especially on this weekend with the discount gate fee. Come race with us.

BSUdude

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
I'd like to put the politics of this issue aside for a moment to try and get a gauge on real world conditions:

Has anyone ever been asked to show their pass while on a ride?

This weekend I visited BSCP.  At the gate, the only reason I even paid for a pass was because I told the attendant I was mountain biking.  Then she had to ask for help just to ring up the $5.00 fee.  Clearly they are not selling a lot, even though the trails were quite busy that day.

Taking a step back, the only reason I even know about the fee is from this website.  Otherwise I wouldn't have even known to ask to pay the fee.  I didn't see it posted anywhere at the gate and wasn't asked about my intended activities at the park upon entry.

My impression is that lawmakers have added another fee to be collected but the DNR feels their limited manpower would be better spent on other necessary park activities rather than mtb fee enforcement.  The permits sold certainly aren't going to pay for a DNR officer on a bike to patrol the trails.  It would be very easy for the DNR to post an officer at an interior trailhead and check mtbers as they came by, if even for an hour or two.  Just long enough to get the word spread among the mtb the community that the rule is being enforced.  Has anyone experienced this?  If I am the DNR, this is damned-if-you-do scenario.  Any enforcement of this seemingly unadvertised fee will likely be met with anger and ill will and drive people away from the parks, hurting their gate fee revenue, let alone any potential mtb fee revenue.

Probably the best thing the DNR could do to get the fee removed is aggressively enforce, because it would piss enough people off that they would let legislators hear about it.

Am I way off here?  Not trying to avoid paying (clearly), but just got the impression the DNR (or at least the boots on the ground DNR) seems about excited about collecting this fee as mtbers are about paying it.

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »
I'd like to put the politics of this issue aside for a moment to try and get a gauge on real world conditions:
Has anyone ever been asked to show their pass while on a ride?

When I entered the park last week at O'Bannon, I was asked to show my MTB pass along with my annual park entry pass.

Something to keep in mind, volunteering 40 hours in a year will not only help the trails, but will earn you a trail permit for next year.

joshlion843

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
i was at bcsp almost three weeks ago. pulled into the west gate with a bike on my roof. the woman came out of the shack and i was digging in my wallet for my state park annual pass and she said dont worry about it and was back in the shack before i could even ask to pay for the $20 pass. happened so quick i didnt get another word in. i intend to pay for the pass this weekend before the race. but thats my mtb fee story.
instagram: @joshlion843

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
A bit off topic, but somewhat related...

In Fall of '95 we were exploring Nebo ridge area on bikes and were stopped by 4 rangers who informed us they were going to put in an approved bike trail.  Once the trail was complete, we have to start paying to ride there and could only ride on approved bike trails.  There were no other "approved" trails at that time and BCSP didn't allow bikes off pavement so it kinda sucked.  They also said they could (would?) confiscate our bikes if we were caught off trail and/or without permits.  Permits are cheap, especially the annual pass, so I happily pay up and enjoy the wonderful trail system we have now.

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
Normally I just wave my annual park permit at the park entrance, but this morning I also had to show my annual bike permit.  Maybe they are starting to enforce the fees?

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
You could always say "I'm just riding the roads"    But I always just flash both at the same time so not sure if they would ask if I didn't.

djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

mrh0518

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
Went down to BCSP this last weekend to ride. Unfortunately for me it's been a few years since I've made the drive down :( Awesome trails! Great job to all the volunteers down there that make those trails what they are!

When I arrived at the gate the attendant told me that I needed a bike pass to ride the trails. Wasn't very happy about that, but I said I guess i need one since I'm here to ride! (Obviously, since my bikes were on top of om car.) But then the attendant told me that if i only ride the beginner tails i wouldn't need a pass. Since I had my Wife with me this was all i was really intending to ride in the first place. The Wife isn't to confident on trails yet, but she getting better!  :D

Once we got to the trails I didn't see any signage or any DNR personal enforcing the biking permit. They only way i would have any information about this new permit came from the lady at the gate and this website. Seems like this should have been communicate better some way.

Not sure how i feel about this biking tax, but I do like the fact that at least new mountain bikers can bike for free on the beginner trails.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »
The DNR did not really spend much time thinking how they would enforce this thing when they implemented it.

Real enforcement is supposed to start in 2017, whatever that winds up being.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
Reminder that there is a post on the advocacy thread about being involved in the up coming election.  The governors race and state senate and rep races all are important to the topic of fees. 

The MTB fees are a political issue. The current gov and legislator would say that by decreasing the funding the state provides our DNR for recreation that they are able to keep taxes lower.  The other view point is that increased fees discourage recreation with results in lower well being, less tourism, and makes it harder to attract young workers.

As a political issue the way to have an influence is to be engaged in the upcoming election.  email, call, or attend a town hall meeting of those running for state office in your district. 

If this election goes on with out any candidates hearing from the voters about the funding issues our State Parks are facing, then you can expect fees to not only remain, but to increase in the coming years.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links