//Trail Status mouse over Java // New mtb fee

Author Topic: New mtb fee  (Read 20447 times)

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
Re: New mtb fee
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »
I was at BCSP today and no one was even at the north gate entrance.  Maybe it isn't "prime time" yet so they don't staffs much during the week???  Got there at 8:30 and still no one there when I left at about noon.
Fat Bikes Matter!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »
I have not been asked, aside from the staffer at ft ben at the beginning of the year who saw my bike in the car and asked if I needed to purchase one (when I was buying my annual gate pass).

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
November until late March/ first of April there is a gate fee Fri-Sat-Sun. Passes and permits can be bought at the park office.

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 11:14:21 AM »

Well said Jason. I have also been told by park employees that mountain bikers generate no revenue for the park.

We've always generated as much revenue as any other user group.  We pay our entry fees to get into the park.  If we want to camp, we pay for a campsite.  What other revenue streams do the parks have?  Oh yeah, a trail use pass that only applies to mountain bikers!  So yeah, the park employees are correct in a way:  Other than the new fee that has been forced upon us, we mountain bikers generate no more or less revenue than your average park user.

However, the trails that HMBA have built in the last 10+ years are a great attraction anywhere they've been built, and they draw more users to those parks by their very existence.  More users = more money, but then again, Mo Money = Mo Problems.

No one has ever said that MATH is one of the DNRs strengths.

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
 I get what everyone is saying for sure, and certainly think many of you have made some great points in what you're saying. It stinks that we've got to be the group that has to pay to play so to speak. That being said, my family spends a LOT of time at the state parks in Indiana. This year alone has already taken us to 3 parks on numerous weekends. I love all of our state parks, and each one has its own little something that makes me really enjoy my time that I get to spend there. I hike, I ride, I camp, and just generally get away to a simple place to kick back and relax and not have a worry in my mind. If it costs me an extra 20 bucks a year to try to help keep these parks alive, I'm fine with that. It's fun tax. I've certainly had significantly more expensive hobbies.

SpecialEd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »
I imagine this will not be enforced EVER. Think about it for a second. The point of the passes is to generate additional revenue. The cost of paying for DNR officers or park staff to check for passes would eliminate all of the revenue generated from the passes in a matter of DAYS. You will never have your pass checked, this is simply a cash grab and if you're feeling lucky, you don't need to buy one at all. I already bought my pass before realizing that there won't be any kind of enforcement.
Sent from my old rotary telephone

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 03:44:12 PM »
I imagine this will not be enforced EVER. Think about it for a second. The point of the passes is to generate additional revenue. The cost of paying for DNR officers or park staff to check for passes would eliminate all of the revenue generated from the passes in a matter of DAYS. You will never have your pass checked, this is simply a cash grab and if you're feeling lucky, you don't need to buy one at all. I already bought my pass before realizing that there won't be any kind of enforcement.

Probably not entirely correct.  They are already paying conservation officers, so it would probably be revenue positive for them to sporadically go out and write a few tickets to get the word out that they are checking to keep people buying passes. It is just a matter if you draw the short straw or not.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

RF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »
I was ask  to show mine at the west gate back in  January when the trails were frozen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:01:44 PM by RF »

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »

I had a lost rider yesterday evening (I know, I know. Also thanks Fett and E) and in asking people as they came off the trail if they had ran across him, one individual offered his number and to return with an atv should I not find the rider by dark. The person turned out to be a CO enjoying the evening with his mtb and his (I presume) SO. So even if off duty, authority has eyes (with teeth) out there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:29:14 PM by Syt »

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

I had a lost rider yesterday evening (I know, I know. Also thanks Fett and E) and in asking people as they came off the trail if they had ran across him, one individual offered his number and to return with an atv should I not find the rider by dark. The person turned out to be a CO enjoying the evening with his mtb and his (I presume) SO. So even if off duty, authority has eyes (with teeth) out there.

At O'Bannon, there are two CO's who are avid mountain bikers. There's a pretty good chance you may encounter them on the trails, which is something to keep in mind if you decide to take your chances.

But if you come out and put in 20 hours of volunteer work over the course of the season, maybe you can get a free permit. Yeah, it's not exactly "free", but the trails will also benefit from the help. We've already had two trail maintenance events this season, and our group of volunteers have already had a chance to put in at least 14-15 hours.

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »

At O'Bannon, there are two CO's who are avid mountain bikers. There's a pretty good chance you may encounter them on the trails, which is something to keep in mind if you decide to take your chances.

But if you come out and put in 20 hours of volunteer work over the course of the season, maybe you can get a free permit. Yeah, it's not exactly "free", but the trails will also benefit from the help. We've already had two trail maintenance events this season, and our group of volunteers have already had a chance to put in at least 14-15 hours.

Good to know. I take it the horses are no longer an issue then.

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Good to know. I take it the horses are no longer an issue then.

If they are caught on the trails when the CO's are riding, they will be written up.

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 03:51:46 PM »
[size=0px]At O'Bannon, there are two CO's who are avid mountain bikers. There's a pretty good chance you may encounter them on the trails, which is something to keep in mind if you decide to take your chances.[/size]

So we should carry the pass on us when riding?
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

SpecialEd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 04:16:10 PM »
Yes,I believe you are supposed to have the permit on your person in the event you are approached by an officer on any trail rated more difficult than green.
Sent from my old rotary telephone

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 10:21:52 PM »
Have fun with that. You are from another state with different state gov't priorities. The root of this problem goes to the state legislature. If you are not contacting your state reps, your threats are meaningless. The DNR in this case is just as much a victim as park users. Possibly moreso. They are mandated to do certain things by law but are given less and less money to do those things. Where else are they going to make up the budget shortfall but by raising user fees?

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links