//Trail Status mouse over Java // New mtb fee

Author Topic: New mtb fee  (Read 19629 times)

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
New mtb fee
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:23:09 PM »
After searching for awhile for an answer, maybe someone knows here.
Will this new mtb permit cover Hoosier national forest trails? It's not listed on dnr website.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: New mtb fee
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
No it's only for the single track trails in the parks. Hooseir national is covered by its own trail pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
Only good for State properties and not Federal properties.

plapham

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:49:34 AM »
Pretty soon mountain bikes will need license plate holder to display all the required permits?   >:(
Lap

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »
Pretty soon mountain bikes will need license plate holder to display all the required permits?   >:(
If you own a Ferrari, you forfeit your right to be outraged by a $20 permit.  ;D
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »

If you own a Ferrari, you forfeit your right to be outraged by a $20 permit.  ;D
. And if you ride as much as some of us do. You buy the $20 pass and it takes you a week to break even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
even at 50 bucks for a park pass im still ripping them off.  I just wish we could get 1 permit that would cover it all, instead of three. last year they said Indiana was it the top five states for obese people and instead of encouraging people to bike they decide to tax you. the road bikes will be next.

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:44:25 PM »
That is not a bad idea...wheel tax for road bikes to help pay for the roads they ride on.  I think you are onto something!

Writing my representatives now.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
I for one think this new fee is a crock of crap!  I am fully aware of all the reasons HMBA supports this fee so don't waste your time typing. 

I used to take my 2 sons mountain biking when we camped at BCSP and other places and they love it but I'll be damned if I pay an extra $60 per year or $15 a day just to ride the trails that volunteers built. 

HMBA volunteers worked their tails off begging to build the trails in the first place, then spent countless hours planning, prepping and building the trails just to be told now that we have to pay to ride them?  Looks to me like the HMBA would have had the end users in mind a little more when negotiating this fee.  Sure, if you are a single guy or a guy that is the only one in a family who rides its not a big deal but when you multiply that by 3 or 4 it becomes very cost prohibitive!  A pass that works like the park entry pass, all riders in the vehicle can ride, would have been a better way to do it, or a less expensive fee.  If these fees meant that the trails would be maintained daily by the park staff and they would hire people just to build and maintain the trails then the fees would be ok, but we all know that isn't the case.  They saw an opportunity to soak more money from people and jumped on the chance and we let them.  What extra facilities have they built for the mountain bikers?  What amenities do they offer because we are coming into the park or are now paying to ride?  None, nothing?  Huh, figures.

There are plenty of other places I can ride for free and those are the places I will be riding and volunteering my time from now on. 

I'm not usually one to complain about things but this is pure crap.  They already make more money on us for the entry fee's, apparently that just isn't enough.  And before anybody asks, yes I do volunteer a ton of time to different trails helping maintain them, just not State Parks because they aren't close enough for me to so that eliminates any possibility for me to get a pass.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
...None, nothing?...

During these times with cutbacks in state funding to the parks, they are keeping the gates open. There's that....and it's enough for me.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
[size=0px]Looks to me like the HMBA would have had the end users in mind a little more when negotiating this fee.[/size]

Please understand that although HMBA met multiple times with the IDNR, I can not describe the meetings as negotiations.  The terms of the Permit where dictated to us, and the few, very modest changes where only made after legislators where contacted through the Action Alert.

I am working on a formal comment from HMBA on the Permit and will post once I get approval from the HMBA board.

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys, my original post pointed the finger at HMBA more than I intended it to and before Paul's post I thought HMBA had an opportunity to at least give an opinion on the subject to the DNR.  I know how much work and dedication HMBA and its members have put into the trails and that is a big part of what has me so steamed.  If the parks had built the trails themselves, like they did the rest of the park then I would have no problem paying the usage fees.

Another part of what has me so upset is that they not only jabbed us with this, they hammered us with every other fee in the park.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/sp-2015_fee_change_chart.pdf

This is the 2015 fee schedule, it shows what the fees were and what they went to in 2015.  I have also been told that the camping fees went up again for 2016 but haven't heard what they will be yet.

Using the 2015 schedule camping for Friday and Saturday night in my RV on a full hookup site at BCSP and riding the trails with my boys would cost me $117!  That is without the annual pass for entry or riding.  If I want to buy the annual pass it will cost me $50 entry and $60 for me and my 2 boys.  For me alone that is a $70 increase from the previous year just in the annual passes.  If I camped for only the 4 nights required to cover the cost of the riding passes it would be an $86 increase, however we camp at the State Parks many more nights than that.  These fees don't cover the new charge to shoot at their gun ranges either, which are $5 per day or $50 annual pass.  They have never charged for those before either, and they do less work to these than they do the trails, however they did build them to start so in my book it is more justifiable to charge for them.

Just a little more on me and how it effects me, we camp in a 40' fifthwheel, mountain bike, kayak, enjoy firearms, hike, and use the youth/primitive camping area with our Scout Troop.  This isn't just about the new bike fee, its about the whole package.  If it was merely a $20 annual pass increase for my mountain bike it wouldn't be a big deal at all, but when you figure it all in its a few hundred $$ a year that they increased for my family.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »
This year has led me to believe that our State's leaders would like to see State Parks funded 100% by user fees.  There are several challenges to this.  One is that State Parks have things in their mission statement that are not recreation based.  So we are going to be asked to pay for 100% of the recreational costs, as well as the preservation of archaeological and environmental resources. 
I personally can afford to pay the increased costs (yes many costs are increased besides the new off-road permit).  But I have a good job and no kids. 

I lose sleep knowing that many Hoosiers (the ones who need the parks the most) are being priced out.  Our parks are turning into an elite country club. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »
I lose sleep knowing that many Hoosiers (the ones who need the parks the most) are being priced out.

Not only Hoosiers, but people from out of state that come to ride our trails are going to be cutting back, if not stopping all together.  I have read many comments from people on other sites that say the new fees will make them stay in their own state or go to another state to ride.
As little money they will get off the new fee, compared to the budget shortfall, they would have been better to just raise the gate fee more.

Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Yep. For an estimated $50,000 in annual revenue, it's a pretty narrow-minded decision, not taking into consideration potential tourism dollars from out of state visitors.

But with politicians cutting over $110,000,000 out of the DNR budget since 2008, they have to find revenue somewhere.

While we've all been told cutting taxes is going to have a huge benefit for everyone, we're all seeing the actual effect it has.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links