//Trail Status mouse over Java // New mtb fee

Author Topic: New mtb fee  (Read 20441 times)

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: New mtb fee
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 11:44:51 PM »
I don't like the idea of another annual trail pass that I have to buy and carry with me at all times, but I understand why and how it came about.  I just hope that all of us who are griping here on the forum are also contacting our state legislators about the issue because they are the only ones who can do anything about it.

They are the ones who dangled the shiny beads of tax caps and tax cuts in front of us.  And we all cheered and voted for them.  And they are the ones who voted to cut the budget for IDNR.

I don't see how we have any grounds to criticize IDNR for trying to find ways to make up the revenue that was taken away from them by the state legislature.  IDNR doesn't control the purse strings but they are expected to provide certain levels of service.

We can't have it both ways.  Either we're willing to pay our fair share of taxes or we pay to play.

duppyC

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
I just won't be making my several trips a year to BCSP and I'll ride Rangeline, Town Run and Westwood instead of Ft. Ben.  Why take a chance on getting a ticket by breaking the rules when you could avoid the situation all together by either buying a pass or riding somewhere else.

My answer to your "why" is that the other places you mention, while fun in their own right, don't hold a candle to BCSP, Versailles or Yellowwood. I'd hate to be stuck riding non-DNR properties just to save $20.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
My problem is that it's not only $20.  I have 2 boys that ride too.  Plus all of their other new fees and rate hikes.  I figured out that if I only used a DNR property exactly the same as I did last year it would cost me an additional $425. 

And as I stated previously, why take the chance on getting caught and getting a fine.  You should either buy a pass or not ride the trails.  I'm not saying that nobody should go ride them, just if you do then you should buy the pass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:57:47 AM by firefighter56 »

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
I didn't know anything about the new mtb fee until today when I went to the park. I got my $50.00 annual pass at the gate as usual and then the guy ask me if I also needed the annual $20.00 bike pass (that you must carry on you at all times while riding or you will get a ticket if the CO's stop you). I honestly thought the guy was confused so I went to the park office. The lady there told me what I heard was correct and that the park has had a lot of complaints about the extra fee. I told her I wasn't really complaining, but I would like to know where my money is going. According to her it's going to HMBA for trail maintenance.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »
According to her it's going to HMBA for trail maintenance.

She flat out lied to you.  Not a single PENNY goes to HMBA.  It all goes into the general fund.  That's the biggest problem we all have with the fee.  We don't see any of it.  I wouldn't have an issue if some of it went to HMBA.

Everyone, keep voicing your negative opinions of the fee.  Let the parks and your representatives know that the fee is unfair.  HMBA does the maintenance on the trails, unlike the horse trails where the parks take care of most, if not all of it.  Not to mention road bikes don't have to pay a fee to use the roads so why should mountain bikers have to pay to use the trails WE built?

ok...end of rant.

Went to Fort Ben today.  Not one word from the attendant about having a bike pass.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:43:39 PM by jasonhilt »
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
She flat out lied to you.  Not a single PENNY goes to HMBA.  It all goes into the general fund.  That's the biggest problem we all have with the fee.  We don't see any of it.  I wouldn't have an issue if some of it went to HMBA.

Everyone, keep voicing your negative opinions of the fee.  Let the parks and your representatives know that the fee is unfair.  HMBA does the maintenance on the trails, unlike the horse trails where the parks take care of most, if not all of it.  Not to mention road bikes don't have to pay a fee to use the roads so why should mountain bikers have to pay to use the trails WE built?

ok...end of rant.

Went to Fort Ben today.  Not one word from the attendant about having a bike pass.

Well said Jason. I have also been told by park employees that mountain bikers generate no revenue for the park.

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »
How would you feel if you drove 2 or 3 hours from out of state to a state park to be hit with a $27 dollar entrance fee?

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
Out of state is $9 for entrance fee.  Each bike is $5.  So one person would be $14.  Four people would be $29.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »

Well said Jason. I have also been told by park employees that mountain bikers generate no revenue for the park.

Worse than that, I've been told we are an expense due to the cost of extracting injured riders.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »

ok...end of rant.

I doubt that the park office person lied about it. She is probably just repeating what is being told to them.  I have corrected a gate attendant already, very politely, and they were genuinely surprised that the money was not going back to the trails and after learning that, was sympathetic to mtb'ers. I think we need to keep politely educating park personnel as to what is really going on because info does not seem to be correctly trickling down from above.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »
Worse than that, I've been told we are an expense due to the cost of extracting injured riders.

Is there not a fee for being extracted?  I would have thought so.  I know when doing motorcycle track days and racing many have insurance to cover an Ambulance/helo ride out.  (This was in West Virginia, so maybe IN laws don't make you pay your own costs?)   

I think if your doing something inherently dangerous such as MTB then you should eat the extraction costs for your injuries.  That said I'd rather pay $20/person/year than what I've heard most extraction costs are :)

djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »
...Is there not a fee for being extracted?....

From the times I've been involved, other bikers have contacted the park office and they made the 911 call for ambulance service. Other mtbr's performed first aid (to control bleeding), directed the park personnel and their 4wd Gator to the closet fire road access and met the ambulance EMT's at the road and led them in. Then the mtbr's and EMT's worked together to get the injured rider to the Gator for a short ride out to the ambulance.

To my knowledge, the park doesn't have a charge and the injured party would be responsible for the ambulance charges. IDNR's cost would be minimal in this scenario.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:52:48 PM by gmcttr »

bikapelli1

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »

Is there not a fee for being extracted?  I would have thought so.  I know when doing motorcycle track days and racing many have insurance to cover an Ambulance/helo ride out.  (This was in West Virginia, so maybe IN laws don't make you pay your own costs?)   

I think if your doing something inherently dangerous such as MTB then you should eat the extraction costs for your injuries.  That said I'd rather pay $20/person/year than what I've heard most extraction costs are :)

Several years ago my partner had a bad accident on Aynes while riding alone, splitting open her knee and leaving her unable to ride or walk.  Fortunately, she was able to reach Alex by cell phone, who was working on Walnut that day.  He went to get the park rangers while another guy went to keep her company.  After a short while, they got her out with one of the Gators.  She was extremely apologetic and was hoping it didn't give a bad impression about mountain bikers.  The park ranger responded that this was nothing compared to what the horseback riders due to themselves.  Something about falling off of horses and compound fractures. 

So, it's all relative.  Yes, we may hurt ourselves but so can other park users. 
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G Wells

RIC0

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
Anyone asked to show a pass yet???  I went to BC this weekend for the first time in 2016, showed my State park pass and was waved on thru.  I forgot about the bike pass until later in the day.
Doin the possum trot

jfleming10

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
Same here, totally forgot about it and was never asked about it.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links