//Trail Status mouse over Java // River's Edge Trail?... extinct?

Author Topic: River's Edge Trail?... extinct?  (Read 1981 times)

K_W

• View Profile
River's Edge Trail?... extinct?
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »
A trail called Rivers Edge Trail shows up on hiking and mountain bike trail websites and searches ... but nothing on here.

Also, I cannot find a map of the actual trail, only that it is 8 miles long and near 86th and Allisonville.

Is this trail extinct?

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: River's Edge Trail?... extinct?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
That may be the stuff connected to the trail behind BGI. There's the BGI trail proper, which connects to a bunch of little trails that were built when the various commercial and residential subdivisions went in, but those developers never maintained any of it. It's kinda eerie back there. All overgrown, but with things like pullup bars and washed out bridges and stuff. Folks who live in the apartments along Allisonville often run back there. Occasionally I'll see folks across the river when I'm at TRTP.

K_W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:59 AM »
I saw an very outdated guide on BGI's site to some kind of trail system, but the pictures show the old building from the 2000's and a very different looking and longer Town Run... closer to what I remember from being a kid riding it with my dad at the very end of the 90's

Is is legal to explore there?  GIS shows the same company owns it as owns the BGI property.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:24:19 AM by K_W »

matt_laker

• Should be riding....
  • SIMBA Member (& socks to prove it!) 8-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
I recall riding my '91 Giant Rincon rigid mountain bike on the trails east of the White River when I lived in what was then River Bend apartments in '93-'94.  I also recall some of the stuff Nate mentioned...would imagine it's all overgrown at this point but might be worth checking out!
Fat Bikes Matter!

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »
This summer's constant flooding and wetness was not kind to the trails at all.  I recently did a recon on the trails behind BGI to see what kind of work was needed (I work at BGI and am the go-to guy for the trails), and they're currently overgrown.  I've been riding back there since the mid-90's, and there are sections that I've never seen overgrown that are shoulder-high with vegetation!

Later this fall/winter/early spring, after some of the vegetation dies down, I'm looking to put together some work sessions.  Going to need all the help I can get, so if anyone is interested, let me know: tsimeone@bgindy.com or PM me on here.  Especially in need of some kind of heavy-duty brush mower to get things cut back down.

All together, I'd say there's about 4 miles of trail between BGI and Autumn Woods, with the potential for a couple more.  And it's probably the only place in the city where you can night ride.  When we built the new store, Alex from Spectrum Trail Design put in about a mile of new trail for us.  There's good riding to be had, just need to get it cleaned up.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:32:04 AM by tony »

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
I rode back there last year. Those trails have a VERY different feel from most other stuff. The Alex-built BGI loop is fun and flowy but the rest of it are just trails through the woods. With lots of little spurs up into the neighborhoods. Google maps' bicycling layer shows a big loop around the pond at the Allison Pointe office development. It also connects into this trail system.

As for the legality, BGI manages the small loop behind their store and there's no problem with that whatsoever. The rest of it would fall under a huge gray area. IIRC, some folks have tried to legitimize those trails since the developers have more or less abandoned them after the initial construction. But the folks who can make that call are in different states and don't really care. I doubt you'll have any trouble.

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
You should be ok exploring, but getting back there from BGI will be a challenge right now.  Probably best to come in from the River Bend end of things, or off the loop around the pond.

As for who owns way, Nate is right.  BGI's land owner owns back so far and it's in our lease to have a trail back there.  Beyond that, there's at least 7-8 different land owners, and none of them seem to have ever cared.  Heck, the apartments used to talk up access to the trails.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links