//Trail Status mouse over Java // Fall leaves, ... tire change?

Author Topic: Fall leaves, ... tire change?  (Read 1225 times)

tomc

• View Profile
Fall leaves, ... tire change?
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »
I normally buy tires and wear them out. However at this time of year I'm always a little less confident with the leaf cover on the trails and the underlying roots, wet trail, rocks, etc. Most tires I have are good for more hardpack situations and typically drier conditions.

But I'm wondering if any of you change out tires at this point in the year. The Epic has me a little concerned as I'm not as familiar with these trails and that underlying slippery stuff can always toss you down off the bike in a flash. I ride tubeless 26 inch tires typically and plan on using my widest tire with a little lower pressure. Unfortunately that is only 2.2 in front (WTB Mutano) and 2.1 in back (slant six). My throwback bike, and my only mountain bike (98 Ellsworth Truth) will only handle smaller widths in back.

Any suggestions or tires that you like in these fall conditions especially considering the 26er? I believe 29ers may have a stability advantage in these conditions with bigger tire volumes and possibly more traction but I have not graduated to that yet. 

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Fall leaves, ... tire change?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:45:55 PM »
I run the same tires year round. But I also ride tails all over with varying terain.2.3 ground control rear 2.3 purgatory front on Stumpjumper 29 fsr. 2.3 purgatory 2.2 captain rear single speed chromag 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:47:31 PM by Raleighguy29 »
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Fall leaves, ... tire change?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
I am still on my smaller knobbed summer tires. It's not leafy enough for me to want to change.

leaves are slippery whether they're dry or wet. I find a more aggressive knobby is about the best you can do. Raleighguy seems to ride a little more aggressive tires than I do year-round.

I ride a fatbike year-round, though, so I have plenty of volume with 4" tires. I do find on dry hardpack that avoiding the aggressive knobs is a good idea in the summertime. Fall through spring, I pull out the knobs because I want the additional security for the increasingly variable and unpredictable conditions.

Having such limits on tire size hurts bad. I just got my wife new wheels. She was already on 2.4" Continental X-Kings (a little bit of a lower profile knob, but pretty good for Indiana most of the year), but with the new wheelset, we added maybe 10mm or so of rim width, so the tires are now appreciably wider. First ride on the new wheels and she could already tell a difference. Her bike is 5yrs and and even still has enough room for a slightly wider tire.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
If I change from my low knob hardpack tires, it is later in the fall when the oak leaves fall as they are much more slippery then the thin maple leaves that are starting to come down now plus the trails are still hard and dry.

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
I don't usually change tires (Maxxis Ikon 2.3 front and rear), although I could see the potential benefit if you wanted to go with a knobbier tire. For the most part, I ride less aggressively during the foliage season--say, 80% of my usual speed just to be safe. So far, that's worked fine for me. Just be careful if the leaves are wet, obviously. And it helps if you know the trail or can follow someone who does. Be safe!
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »
I just switched my girlfriends Schwalbe Racing Ralphs off of her bike and put a Schwalbe Nobby Nic in the front and a Rocket Ron in the back. Definitely grips better in the leaves and makes her more confident in fall riding.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

indyshred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
I have run 29er 2.2 Forte Tsali's front and back for the last 2 years. However I just switched to 2.2 Forte Pisgahs for a trip to Western NC/Eastern Tenn. Boy am I glad I did. The extra bite was a lifesaver due to all the rain they got last week. Wish I woulda did these swaps every Fall (due to wet leaves). Somebody tell Performance to make the 29" Pisgahs in a 2.3 or 2.4!! 

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
The Pisgah's are definitely a better all season tire.  I run a set year round and see no need to switch back to the Tsalis in the Summertime.

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links